Skip to main content

(End Of) Summer Rolls




Summer Rolls seem to have been a really popular thing recently, I have seen photographs of these very delicious looking morsels everwhere. On Thursday, when we were in Lancaster having our daft shopping trip, I picked up some wraps (less than £2 for this pack). 

On Friday we spent a fair bit of the day getting the house ready for Chris and Holly and just generally having domestic joy, so we decided to try our hand at rolling. 

To go with the rolls, which were simply assorted raw veg sliced very thinly - we used avocado, red cabbage, spring onion, carrot, yellow pepper and cucumber, we decided to try a couple of other new things too. 



As you can see my rolls are not uniform and are, in some cases, decidedly wonky. I'm not a fiddle and faff, detail kind of a girl, I'm very slapdash so I was surprised I had the patience to make these at all. 



We had some sweet chilli sauce in the pantry and Dan made a satay style sauce based on this recipe, we had to use lemon instead of lime and agave instead of honey. We thought that we couldn't go wrong as it appeared to be a child friendly recipe! I heartily recommend this, it was delicious. 



I also made some portobello mushroom schnitzel. We had some reduced price mushrooms, plus some breadcrumbs to use up. The inspiration for this came from our friend Em who made celeriac schnitzel for us when she came over a couple of years ago. Again, this was delicious and so simple, just sliced mushrooms (or aubergine etc.) dipped into a batter of water and flour, I used gram flour, then dipped into the breadcrumbs and cooked in the frying pan with a little oil until everything was brown and crisp. I didn't think about it at the time but it wasn't a hundred miles away from a katsu curry when the sauce and mushrooms joined forces. 



Best thing I've eaten for ages!

Comments

  1. looks fab I havent come across those wraps before will have to look out for them :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're available in some supermarkets, I've seen a Vietnamese Roll kit at Sainsbury's, I think Waitrose and Tesco sell them too. They're so easy and delicious.

      Delete
  2. We are not veggies but eat veggie meals regularly I really like the look of these, I might look into finding some of that rice paper x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can add some cooked meat or fish to these too if you didn't fancy a veggie one (although they are delicious as they are).

      Delete
  3. Yummy, that looks very good. Your rolls don't look that wonky...who wants things to be exactly the same, boring in my book.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so tasty! It was easy to put together too, it was just a matter of doing things in the right order. You're right, I don't like things to be too uniform, that's why we make things ourselves isn't it!

      Delete

Post a Comment