Skip to main content

Stoup



When payday rolls around I get an itch just to buy something. Much as I like using things up I also like to have a good store of things in, I have no idea how that balances out in my brain but there you go. But yesterday I decided to sit on my hands and just do other things instead. I did order hay, but that's an essential, even more essential than anything we think we need. Plus we need to recoup as much cash as possible due to an impulse buy on Saturday (Dan takes full responsibility for the purchase, but I'm more than happy to help stretch the finances). 

I tend to do my main shopping on a Thursday, for no other reason than that's when I used to go to Kwik Save with Father when I was little. We ate the dhal from the menu plan on Sunday evening (and it was delicious) so I knew I needed to scramble the menu plan a little bit, which is when I came across the mystery vessel in the freezer. It looked a bit tomatoey, a bit butterbeany and a bit butternut squashy so that became tea. I shoved it in a pan and cooked the last bit of pasta we had, which was just enough. 

Turns out the stew was actually soup. So I squirted in a bit of tomato puree to thicken it a little bit and stirred it into the pasta to make it into stoup


The verdict was positive, Dan said it tasted like Heinz soup, I thought it was fine and it certainly filled me up even if it wouldn't ever been my first choice. One day down, three to go!

Comments

  1. Mmmmm...yum! Ha, mysterious things in the freezer strike again! My mum thought she was defrosting soup one day and it turned out to be stewed Apple!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Surprise stewed apple would make me very happy!

      Delete
  2. Amazing what you can do when you need to. It looks quite substantial.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was impressed, it was really hearty, not usually what you'd want in August but it fit the bill this time round.

      Delete
  3. Lots of my pots in the freezer are mystery pots, it just adds to the spice of life! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a very good way of looking at it.

      Delete
  4. It certainly looks like a hearty meal. I often find things I've put in the freezer and have no idea what they are, I really need to learn to label things better. Lovely to see a photo of the buns, I really miss our two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am usually good at labelling, I don't know why this one slipped through, I don't even remember the soup first time round!

      Glad you liked the bunny picture, I know I'll really feel it when they're not here anymore.

      Delete
  5. The stoup looks rather tasty. The bunnies look cute. Are they regular size bunnies or bigger? A neihbour of my dad's have a couple of huge (as tall as a a 5 yr old when stood up) grey rabbits that run around his garden all day.
    Carolx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it was nice.

      The buns are both larger than many you come across, Bundy (the white one) is an English rabbit and what I'd call a medium size bun, although she's a lot bigger than the Rex we had before. RooRoo is a German Lop and is large, but nowhere near as big as a Continental Giant, as you say they are huge!

      Delete

Post a Comment