Skip to main content

Reusing



We are trying to reduce the amount of waste we produce, and the amount of plastic we consume, our biggest problem is the amount of tetrapak we get through with the non-dairy "milks", the best we can do with that at the moment is to take it to the recycling centre.

MIL's neighbour has made lots of very nice furniture from pallets he can access from work, he has also very kindly brought some home for us. I don't know how many there are but we have an idea to use them to form edging for the former lawn area. As well as providing something we need it will help us to save money on stones as we can shift the ones we have around to make space for the pallets and fill some of the gaps that way. 

The rabbits have a rug in their pen, we usually buy cheap ones and throw them away when they get too chewed, but Dan found an old cotton rug in the garage and has cut that into four pieces, they are the ideal size for our needs. We can wash them when needed and as they're 100% cotton I assume we'll be able to compost each piece when a replacement is needed. 

We've been storing bread in plastic bags when they go into the freezer, foolishly we've taken to defrosting it still in the bag, so the bag is a bit sweaty and slimy after all that and all we've used it for is as a bin bag. I saw cotton bread bags in a shop the other day and nearly bought one, but then I thought we might have a solution at home. 




A bit of looking online revealed that linen or even a pillowcase would be suitable, then I saw the bag we've been using to store our mouse and other computer things, a drawstring bag Dan got with a pair of shoes, it's ideal! I now store the cables in a cotton shopping bag.

Along with the scones I also made some spiced squash soup, using some Goan Xacuti Curry Powder I've had in the pantry for about two years, and for the sake of it here's what we ate last night, noodles with teriyaki sauce


Comments

  1. I save cereal packet infers for bread storage too. I am fed up of throwing away so much plastic. It's our fullest recycling bin. We did get a jug and bag system for milk but it was so much more expensive and the bags the milk came in were non recyclable! So we just recycle the cartons religiously. Your noodle dish looks DELICIOUS X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good idea, we generally use cereal packets as rabbit toys or just stick them in the compost.

      The noodles were really tasty, I bought a massive pack of noodles from KF Foodstore in Lancaster so we've been eating them a lot recently, we love them.

      Delete
  2. I generally use paper towel to defrost bread, such a great idea to have a bread bag saving so much on the paper towel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am trying to really cut down on our paper towel use. It's something I didn't buy in the past, but it just makes it easier to clean the rabbit pen, I try to not use it for anything else though.

      I'll be sure to let you know if the experiment is a failure!

      Delete
  3. We get through quite a lot of tetrapak too as Mike is lactose intolerant. Your noddle dish sounds nice, we have a huge back of them (plastic no doubt) and I'm sick of just adding them to a stirfry x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It adds up to a lot of waste doesn't it. I did a bit of poking around yesterday and have seen a couple of potential reuses.

      I really like Everday Pad thai from Isa Does It (we don't always have tofu with it, it's good without, or with something else proteiny) http://www.theppk.com/2013/09/everyday-pad-thai/ I use about 2 spoons of sugar though, it's way too sweet for me otherwise. I'd be interested to try other uses for noodles too.

      Delete
  4. I recycle everything that I can, all raw food bar meat goes to compost. I did buy peaches and plums in Tesco on Saturday and took them out of the plastic cartons, which I left in the bin just outside the door. We get doorstep milk delivery here but the odd pack that I buy all adds up, the plastic collection is fortnightly and I see multiple bags outside most houses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to be able to reduce waste/recycle so much. We have done well with other things, and with composting We have a fortnightly collection too, I think we put ours out one in every three or four collections.

      Delete
  5. Trying to recycle items is perhaps the most challenging thing a frugal person can do. I think your recycling ideas are marvelous. I have to step this up a bit as I am afraid the recycling items has gone by the wayside over the last little while.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jackie, I think it's really easy to fall out of the routine of recycling, as it is with anything I suppose!

      Delete
  6. When I start making my own bread (when our kitchen is finally finished!) I'm definitely planning on freezing it in a pillowcase!
    Your noodles look so yummy, we're obsessed with noodles in our house at the moment! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent, hope it works for you.

      I'm on the lookout for more Autumn/Winter noodle recipes so we can have something easy, but more hearty when the colder weather comes (or today!).

      Delete

Post a Comment