Monday, 8 August 2016
We are trying to reduce the amount of waste we produce, and the amount of plastic we consume, our biggest problem is the amount of tetrapak we get through with the non-dairy "milks", the best we can do with that at the moment is to take it to the recycling centre.
MIL's neighbour has made lots of very nice furniture from pallets he can access from work, he has also very kindly brought some home for us. I don't know how many there are but we have an idea to use them to form edging for the former lawn area. As well as providing something we need it will help us to save money on stones as we can shift the ones we have around to make space for the pallets and fill some of the gaps that way.
The rabbits have a rug in their pen, we usually buy cheap ones and throw them away when they get too chewed, but Dan found an old cotton rug in the garage and has cut that into four pieces, they are the ideal size for our needs. We can wash them when needed and as they're 100% cotton I assume we'll be able to compost each piece when a replacement is needed.
We've been storing bread in plastic bags when they go into the freezer, foolishly we've taken to defrosting it still in the bag, so the bag is a bit sweaty and slimy after all that and all we've used it for is as a bin bag. I saw cotton bread bags in a shop the other day and nearly bought one, but then I thought we might have a solution at home.
A bit of looking online revealed that linen or even a pillowcase would be suitable, then I saw the bag we've been using to store our mouse and other computer things, a drawstring bag Dan got with a pair of shoes, it's ideal! I now store the cables in a cotton shopping bag.
Along with the scones I also made some spiced squash soup, using some Goan Xacuti Curry Powder I've had in the pantry for about two years, and for the sake of it here's what we ate last night, noodles with teriyaki sauce