Tuesday, 9 August 2016

Monday Doings


After hitting my 2016 target of reading 12 books pretty early on, the reading slowed to a stop in June and July. I've read articles and bits of books, but nothing cover to cover. We went to the library the other weekend and I chose two books.

Butterflies In November is probably my favourite book of the year so far, it was so melancholy and unusual, a really quick read, but a really slow book in some ways - small things are magnified and big things discussed but not dwelled upon. Having read a few reviews, this is not what many other readers got from this book! 

I also picked this up from the "Returned Today" shelf



This is not one of my favourite books of the year It made me sooooooo cross, it made me almost as cross as the tv series Inside Out Homes - Dan has added that to the banned list as I shout at the tv a lot when it's on. That's all I'm going to say about that.

I mentioned recently that someone had given me a big stack of fabric, well I decided to make some flowers/frilly decorations for the displays at the charity shop, I have no idea if the manager will want them so I've just done a couple of very rough and ready samples


Yesterday I did some cooking ready for the start of the football season. Football isn't football without a pie or a pasty, so yesterday I made two kinds a hashty - lentil and potato hash filling, and squash and butterbean. The squash pasty filling is my homage to the delicious pasties we buy occasionally from Filberts in Lancaster, it's just roast squash, butterbeans, chipotle, paprika, a little bit of stock and a squeeze of tomato puree. I made enough pasties for the first few games (of course fewer made it into the freezer than I made originally) and there's more filling ready to go. I tried one for lunch with my spicy soup, it had burst open so I had to eat it!

is that a bit blurry?

10 comments:

  1. Looks delish-soup and the pasty. I don;t know why they haven't caught on in the US. We eat Calzones, but not pasty;s and I think I might need to learn how.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are so easy to make. The pastry is just 8oz plain flour, 4oz fat, a pinch of salt and a couple of tablespoons of cold water. Rub the fat into the flour and salt, add enough water to form a dough , knead it very briefly, then leave in the fridge for 30 minutes, then roll out to the thickness you want, add the filling then bake for around 20 minutes at 200C.

      Delete
  2. What lovely flowers!! I think the manager would be crazy to turn them away.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, she liked them so I'll be producing many more in my spare time!

      Delete
  3. tasty looking food! the flowers look fab

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your pasties look scrummy. So does the soup.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The first book sounds interesting, will have to add that to my reading list (that I always forget about). Those are very pretty flowers and would brighten up any display. Your lunch looks delicious, the little pasty is a perfects size to go with a bowl of soup. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I hope you like the book, I liked everything about it that the bad reviews disliked, so I think it very much depends how you look at the world!

      I may have eaten another pasty after that one.

      Delete