Friday, 12 August 2016

It's Christmas Eve

is that blurry?

This morning I had a very giddy boy in the house, who knows what he'll be like by tonight.

It's the first game of the new football season tomorrow. 

I am very much looking forward to the match, and almost as excited about trying out the food flask! Tomorrow will be a three flasker, one for spiced squash soup, one for quinoa salad and one for coffee. I don't know what we can and can't take into the ground so I think tomorrow we'll eat in the car and I have a look for other flasks and things when we get inside. 

Hopefully it should be a low/no spend day, parking is free and we're doubling up with a visit to see Dan's mum afterwards, I think we'll be doing that most weeks, plus we can get shopping she might need on the way as we pass a supermarket on the way back to the car, saves her the taxi fare.

Why do we need to take food at all? Well, firstly being a sports fan is as much about rituals as it is about anything else (it's not really even about winning), hence pie and soup, lucky socks, tinned food counts, and all manner of other things are a part of the game, including the pre-goal mint if you're my mum. Secondly it's 40 odd miles from here to there and the game kicks off at 3pm, finishes somewhere after 4.50, so about 50 minutes drive, then about a 20 minute walk to the ground (better than sitting in traffic). I wouldn't be ready to eat lunch before we left, and I'd be famished if we waited until we got home to have our tea. So a picnic it is!

Up The Clarets is all that's left to say about that.  

6 comments:

  1. Definitely! You are the only person I've heard of who takes a quinoa salad to a match. 😃X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I hadn't thought about it like that, it must be the meat-free version of the "prawn sandwich brigade". A few years ago we went to Featherstone to watch rugby and there I was sitting on the steps wearing a frock and eating asparagus, Father nearly disowned me (once he'd stopped laughing)!

      Delete
  2. Enjoy your outing to the game.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm really looking forward to it.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like fun, I love a picnic whatever the reason.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very true, there doesn't need to be much of an excuse to have a picnic.

      Delete