Skip to main content

Freebie And Bargain Of The Week


Not much to report this week. I bought this Country Living Modern Rustic magazine from the charity shop for 50p, cover price £9.99! Blimey. 

When we were in Burnley we nipped into Tesco to use the loo and I took the opportunity to grab a copy of the free magazine. We don't usually shop there, so I don't get the magazine very often. 

I was really conscious of waste yesterday, we ate our picnic in the car, although I did see a couple of flasks in use at half time so I might take the coffee in with us next week. When I looked around there was so much plastic in use it was amazing, I've been to loads of big events but this was the first time I'd really thought about it - chip cartons, tea and coffee cups, soft drink cups, chocolate wrappers. I think the only recyclable things were plastic pop bottles and the foil tray from the pies - not that most people are going to take those things home to shove into their recycling obviously. I'm not judging anyone, I've had many drinks and snacks at gigs and games before, I just noticed how near impossible it was to be zero waste at an event like this, unless you take your own drink with you, or of course do without. 


Part of the reason we chose the seats we did is that I love the view, the hills and the houses all lined up. I confess I did feel more than a twinge yesterday and didn't really want to come back to the Fylde, but we made our choice and here we are. Maybe we'll wander back some day.  

Comments

  1. A lovely view. By the way, if you want me to send you Michael Foley's book 'The Age of Absurdity', I've finished reading it. Just email me an address to send it to at johnnyjumpsup@gmail.com and I'll post it on to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that view so much, one of the reasons I wanted a seat in the longside! That area of Lancashire has some gorgeous countryside.

      Delete
  2. Good to know that you can take your flask and such with you another time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am far too excited about the prospect!

      Delete
  3. That sky looks very threatening in your photo. I hope the weather cooperated while you were there. I agree with you about plastic waste. I've started trying to wrap food in wax paper when I can, just to cut down on the plastic bags I have to throw away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The weather was fine, the clouds do like to look mean and moody over the hills.

      Wax paper is another good idea, I'll look into that, I've seen the reusable wraps but they usually have beeswax on them so they're a no-no for me. Thanks for dropping by to leave a comment.

      Delete
  4. It looks like a fab view.

    http://lizziedailyblog.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a lovely view. Did you get to see much football being so high up and how was it?
    Carolx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's ideal for me (I chose these seats), still close enough to see the names of players on their shirts. Much lower and I often can't see if there's someone taller in front of me, plus we're totally covered, I have been to many games where the rain or snow gets in and it's not fun!

      I really enjoyed it, even though Burnley lost with a goal right near the end of the game.

      Delete
  6. I totally understand what you are saying about all the waste from events- I have thought about it so many times and worried about it! When I've ended up buying a cup of tea in one of those cups, I've washed out and saved them to take home to use for seedlings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an amazing amount of plastic when you start to think about it isn't it. Good idea to use the cup for seedlings though.

      Delete
  7. My husband always laughs at my love for free supermarket magazines! Glad I'm not the only one who likes them! :)
    Love view of Burnley from the football pitch, my Grandparents are from Burnley and my Mum grew up there so I have many fond memories of the area :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's something to enjoy during a tea break!

      Glad you liked the picture, nice to have some happy memories brought back.

      Delete

Post a Comment