Sunday, 7 August 2016

A Fascinating Insight

I mentioned Dan's impulse purchase last week, it was a chest of drawers and side cabinet. They arrived on Friday so our clothes have had a rejiggle as we were sharing a chest of drawers before. Dan has the large set in his dressing room and I have the new, small set and the cabinet in our bedroom. 


It's G- Plan Fresco and is a little late for our house as I think this is from around 1970, still it's the perfect size for the small alcove, and it was a good excuse for me to sort through the things that live in my drawers and add some things to the rag pile. 

As Dan has increased the amount of space he let me into his world as he sorted his stuff out. The wardrobes here are built in and above the hanging rail at either side are two small shelves (47cm w x 27 d x 50 h). This is what he had been keeping on his shelves 


An empty plastic box, two empty cardboard boxes along with some other packaging, programmes from concerts, a camera, bathroom storage things, a large floor cushion (?) and assorted other stuff. Needless to say most of it has gone elsewhere, other than two rugby shirts that had found their way up there, nothing went into a drawer. Amazing! 

So, it's been a productive weekend, the bedrooms have been sifted and sorted, we have removed the failed veg from the bed, but we did unearth a mooli, some radish, a carrot *yay* and some spring onions, so not a total waste. 

We did most of the batch cooking, but I didn't get round to the bean burgers, I'll make them today. Carol asked for the recipe, it is the Island Black Bean Burgers from Isa Does It, reproduced here. After making lots for the freezer we couldn't resist trying some falafel using this recipe which uses soaked but uncooked chickpeas instead of cooked or tinned, and polenta coated wedges, so that's what we had for tea, along with a pitta made by Dan 


I baked the falafel so they weren't as... delicious as fried, but they went down very well and I'll use this recipe all the time, inexpensive too I made 18 from half a bag of chickpeas, so that's 18 for about 65p including all the herbs and spices. This morning I baked some scones, but that's about as energetic as it gets today!

10 comments:

  1. Those drawers! They're beautiful!! You dinner looks yummy too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm not a huge fan of G-Plan usually, but these are nice, plus Dan loves them, so it's a winner!

      Delete
  2. You have been busy! It seem that when I do a sort out of the bedroom drawers and wardrobes it takes forever.

    When you do your batch cooking do you freeze the extra portions or just keep them in the fridge?

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I lose enthusiasm for sorting clothes very quickly!

      The batch cooking is for the freezer, I cook/prepare most of what we buy and stick it in the freezer, then we work through the remaining fresh food first. We spent a lot of the budget this week, but I think we should only need greens for the rabbits this week, greens and fruit next week. Fingers crossed anyway.

      Delete
  3. I haven't baked today, needing a rest but I could really fancy a scone right now. Always the way when its the first Sunday in months we haven't had an afternoon tea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the link for the burger recipe. Sound delicous. Just wondering if the black beans are the kidney beans (might have to find an alternative as hubby is alergic to them)
    The draws look nice.
    Carolx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure if they're the same family as kidney beans or not. I suppose you could substitute other beans but the texture would be different, it would be a case of making sure the texture was right before cooking them - maybe with a softer bean more breadcrumbs would be needed.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm not generally a G-Plan girl but this is ideal for the space we have. It's in beautiful condition too.

      Delete