Saturday, 30 July 2016

Wrapped Up


edited to add a link to the full recipe for the flatbread. 

We made a smoky, spicy, chilli bean type thing for tea the other day and added an avocado as a slimy treat, but had nothing to go with it, so Dan made some wraps. I'd seen a recipe that was just flour, oil, water and salt but Dan decided to leave the oil out, so that probably just makes them a flatbread rather than anything proper. 

I think he used 250g plain flour, 5g salt, enough water to make a dough maybe 300ml, a quick mix and short knead and then he rubbed the dough with a little oil to stop it sticking to the bowl while it rested for 30 minutes. Then it was just a matter rolling it out and cooking in a hot, dry pan. The recipe comes via River Cottage.




They were great! Why have I been buying wraps like a sucker all this time?

I can see why other recipes add the extra oil, but I was more than happy to have this simple version, they'd be great with curry or all manner of other fillings too. Dan's going to try corn tortillas next time so we'll see how that goes. 

16 comments:

  1. What a great idea. I've never thought of making wraps before. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I feel we've been duped, all other recipes have called for a tortilla press and all manner of fancy things. These may not be authentic but they're simple and inexpensive!

      Delete
  2. That meal looks yummy. I've often seen a woman in the window of a local kebab shop making flatbreads. They sound quite simple to make. I should try it myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really should, they're so simple (although I can say that as I didn't make them!)

      Delete
  3. They look amazing, how silly we are for buying things that are so simple to make. I will certainly be giving them a go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy them, it's amazing how we think we need to buy certain things rather than make them ourselves. I'm very lucky that Dan finds breadmaking relaxing.

      Delete
  4. So easy and so delicious! No faffing at all as Dan makes them! Lucky girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, they're so good, I want them all the time!

      Delete
  5. Sounds lovely. Think I need to have a try. Thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I hope they work out well.

      Delete
  6. Those look so lovely!

    http://lizziedailyblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow, that is brilliant!!! Clever Dan! And the smoky chilli thing looks good- recipe please!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kezzie, I really appreciate the fact that Dan likes making the bready things.

      The smoky chilli thing was very simple too -

      Put some roast veg (any you like) into a pan with half a tin of black eyed beans, then added a heaped teaspoon of ground cumin, a not-heaped teaspoon of ground coriander, about 1/3 teaspoon hot paprika and a teaspoon of chipotle paste (you could sub the chipotle and hot paprika for smoked paprika and chilli if needed), stir and cook for a minute or so.

      Add some passata and bring to the boil then reduce to a low simmer, add some spinach and sweetcorn, cook for as long as you like then eat with the wraps!

      As you can tell, I made it up as I went along!

      Delete
  8. They look great, will have a go at making them too xxx

    ReplyDelete