Saturday, 4 June 2016

Healthy Appetite



I was very happy this week to be in the position to write a long and detailed list, there are few things more exciting to me. Today the list became action and we went off to Lancaster to do some shopping. It's a tiered shopping system we go to the cheap places, then if we can't get what we want we go to the next cheapest place and so on, it works for us - because I like long and detailed lists. 

Yesterday I ventured out with my shopping trolley to Home Bargains to buy tinned beans and chickpeas as I didn't want to carry them round today, it was nice to get out although it was a little tricky to carry a basket, the trolley and grab stuff from the shelves at the same time!

After some birthday gift power shopping we start our food shopping circuit in TKMaxx as they sometimes have things for us. Today we struck lucky and snapped up some hemp oil for two pounds less than we would have paid at the health food shop. Out of there into the street market (Lancaster's market hall is about to become a Primark). First stop, vegetables. 



We paid £8.30 for this haul, there's a kilo of tomatoes there £1, I love the yellow ones but we don't buy them very often as they're expensive, 60p each for the squash (600g each), £1.20 for two avocados, some mushrooms tucked in at the back etc. I'm sensing ratatouille may be on the menu tomorrow. 

We finished up at the health food shop where I was exceptionally well behaved and didn't buy any chocolate at all, just some boring things like soap and toilet paper. Yes, we've finally used up the soap I made last year, it's lasted really well, I'm impressed. 

All of which meant that on our way back to the car we had enough money left for a little Saturday treat from Filberts



My favourite cinnamon rolls!

6 comments:

  1. That is my kind of morning! I would enjoy that. You did well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it was far nicer than spending time at the supermarket.

      Delete
  2. I'd lovea good ratatouille recipe. I think my family would love it, even husband who doesn't like my veg curry because he thinks it is too spicy. I'm glad you treated yourself. I have cinnamon roll dough in the freezer which might make an appearance for Sunday morning breakfast-this or next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I find one I'll share it.

      I try to resist the cinnamon rolls sometimes, but they're so delicious that yesterday I just went for it.

      Delete
  3. Veg from the market stalls always looks so much fresher than that from the supermarkets. I love food shopping in TKMaxx too, I was lucky the other day and got some Ten Acre vegan cheese and onion crisps, my favourite xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really does. I think there's something about seeing it all laid out that that just inspires me to be a bit healthier!

      Ten Acre crisps are very nice aren't they, even better when they show up at a bargain price.

      Delete