Skip to main content

Freebie and Bargain of the Week

What a busy week! The weather is gorgeous here and the town has been packed with visitors which means the charity shop has been exceptionally busy. I was on my own front of house on Wednesday and I didn't stop all afternoon, it was great!


When my parents came to visit last week they gave me some plants. A mahonia and a bright green thing I don't know the name of for in our shade bed, plus some hostas to pad out the shade bed. The hostas came in these two shallow pots. They didn't want the pots back and they are exactly what I needed/wanted for the former lawn area. I've taken a few small bits of various alpines and relocated them to the pots, just the job.

We've also been on the lookout for something to hold our prepared salad so it's easy to grab and go. We do have storage containers but the more we're cooking for the freezer the less we have floating around. I spent £3 on this nice divided Pyrex dish from a charity shop this week 



I tend to chop enough salad for three days at a time, so this is the ideal size for us, plus we can use it for other things when we're eating less salad later in the year. 


The town council newsletter arrived yesterday so I've been able to pencil in a few free events to keep us entertained later in the summer - club day/carnival, the kite festival and the centenary celebration for our local park. If the weather's good it should be a great summer!

Comments

  1. I love your dish I've been looking for one similar for ages lucky you. The weather has been divine here too and we have had the week off so have spent it in the garden and decorating x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great time to be off! I have been keeping half an eye out for a dish like this but this is the first one that has been exactly what I'm after. Also, after visiting the National Glass Centre in Sunderland I am even more fond of Pyrex!

      Delete
  2. I have just started doing the research for the free entertainment for when I have visitors throughout the summer. Great pyrex dish, a real bargain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks.

      We do pay a fair bit extra council tax to our town council, but it is nice to see them arranging events for us, it's so easy to get caught up in things that visitors, but not residents, attend.

      Delete
  3. My Mum had a dish like that. Come to think of it, it might still be around! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like this design, when I was little our dishes were the vegetable harvest ones.

      Delete
  4. The pots look great. Lucky you! It has been busy around here too but we've stayed quite close to home this week. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm really pleased with them, they're plastic but look pretty good next to my proper pot ones. Sometimes it just makes sense to stay near to home.

      Delete
  5. We had a bumper day at the CS today. Time flies by when it's busy. I think the summer's already arrived, don't you.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first good (weather) week of many I hope Mum.

      Delete
  6. The dish sounds a great idea!!! Ooh, the free events also sound great- hope you tell us about them!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If things are right in front of my face I'm far more likely to eat them so something with a clear lid is ideal.

      I'll be sure to have my camera at the ready for the various events :)

      Delete
  7. The alpine pots look lovely. I too like to make up a big salad that will last for days. We have been in Lytham gala a few time and Last year was our last. We may visit this year as it would be nice to watch it for a change.
    Carolx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure it will be a very different experience as a spectator rather than a participant. Glad it's a nice day for Poulton Gala today.

      Delete

Post a Comment