Sunday, 15 May 2016

The Small Outdoors


I've mentioned before that I/we haven't done much in the garden this year, with having the roof done we didn't want to sow anything in case the scaffolding caused any damage, and I'm glad we made that decision as the poles were all over the veg bed. 

Yesterday was the first time we went out to face the mess. And it was a mess, but there was also some good news. Flowers I thought I'd never see had started to appear, we've had this white dicentra for a couple of years and it has never flowered, I thought it had died, but here it is! It is in the area of the garden where I did quite a bit of cutting back last year so maybe that extra bit of light and space has done the trick. It looks beautiful anyway and I'm very happy. 


We spent the rest of the time sorting out the veg bed, as you can see it was rather weedy! It was lovely to spend a bit of quiet time in the sun just doing something small but worthwhile.


There's still a long way to go, but now that job is out of the way it all seems positive, rather than just making amends for something we didn't do. We also stuck some seeds into the ground - mooli, squash, pak choi, beetroot and sunflowers. We have some pots to fill so we'll investigate them sometime next week. 

18 comments:

  1. The garden is my happy place when I make the effort to get out there and enjoy it. Good luck with yours this year, there's plenty of time left to grow lots of lovely things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you get so much from your garden. I'm not sure I'll ever be a garden lover but I like a little bit of pottering about and it's great for the birds and insects which is the main thing.

      Delete
  2. When the sun shines my garden calls me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a lovely surprise. Some plants are quite hearty aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are. Our garden was neglected for many years before we moved here and we are slowly making progress. Every time we cut something back we find more plants just waiting to burst into life.

      Delete
  4. Working in the garden always makes me feel contented.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just nice to be able to get out into your own space isn't it.

      Delete
  5. Working in the garden is so relaxing. I can hardly wait to get at mine.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're turning a corner now, where it is relaxing rather than stressful and overwhelming, I'm starting to really like it.

      Delete
  6. I sympathize about your weedy veg bed - I've just spent a merry couple of hours trying to de-weed ours. There's still a long way to go but I'm not sure that my back can take any more today. I've never tried to grow mooli or pak choi - are they easy? Have fun with your pots. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never grown either, we have sown a few seeds and we'll have to wait and see!

      Delete
  7. I think you were wise to wait too. My house will be painted, probably in the fall and I am not starting any plantings that could be trampled. I know my ginger plants will have to be cut down but unless something goes really wrong, they will survive. The rest will just have to survive on it's own. I'll ask them to be careful but ... yeah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I know what you mean, our builders were as tidy as they could be but damaging some plants was unavoidable. Hope there's not too much damage when you have your painting done.

      Delete
  8. The white flowers are lovely. I have the pink one. Sounds like you have done some good work in your garden.
    Carolx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I think I thought this one was pink, just goes to show it's never done anything before!

      Delete
  9. A wise decision to wait, but now that it all over a great time to start. Good luck with the pots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm looking forward to seeing what happens.

      Delete