Monday, 16 May 2016

The Purple Peril

I've never had much success with aubergine. I've eaten it in restaurants a few times with varying degrees of enjoyment but I've never really done anything exciting with it in my own kitchen. We went to Lancaster on Saturday and when we were walking through the street market we had a look on the fruit and veg stall. BARGAINS GALORE! I was restrained as we didn't need very much but I did buy a nice looking squash for 80p and three aubergines for £1. 

I decided to make baba ganoush. I'd never eaten it before so I could class it as new food of the week. I used this recipe from Aine Carlin (also reproduced in the book Keep It Vegan). I got cold feet part way through, when I scraped the flesh into a bowl, it all looked a bit too much like bits of fish so I cheated and stuck it all in the food processor rather than mashing by hand s I didn't have to look at it. 


For a nice looking picture see the link above, I haven't drizzled with oil or anything, it's just a bowl of smoky gloop. Despite my initial doubts it's actually delicious! Full of flavour and the texture is very pleasant.


A nice lunch, home made houmous (the larger and lighter of the two gloop piles), the aubergine next to it, a bit of salad and a Dan-made pitta!

The holiday is over today, Dan has just cycled off into the distance and I have a nice long to-do list, happy times. 

16 comments:

  1. I usually roast or grill like I would meat. My daughters and I love them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm going to try that next time, good to know it's a tasty option.

      Delete
  2. I like baba ganoush too and we love grilled egg plant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're both really enjoying it. Dan said a few people in the office asked what it was yesterday as his lunch looked so good.

      Delete
  3. We love Aubergines in our cooking! Baba Ganoush is tres tasty!!! Your dinner looks delectable!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm certainly going to be more brave with it now.

      Delete
  4. Ooh I love aubergine's and baba ganoush is delicious, houmous too. Your lunch is a lunch after my own heart when it's warm and sunny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an ideal sunny day lunch, I bet it will taste all the better when we can eat outside too!

      Delete
  5. Well done, I too avoid the big purple one. Never tastes of anything much when I prepare it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This has been my problem in the past, this recipe is a winner though.

      Delete
  6. I love eggplant and plant it in the garden whenever I can find it (the stuff from stores here tastes terrible).

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Father has some in his greenhouse, so if I'm very good a couple may come my way.

      Delete
  7. If you like spicy food this is a tasty recipe using aubergine: http://www.hungry-girl.com/recipe-makeovers/show/2571-healthy-eggplant-stir-fry-recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love spicy food, thanks for the recipe I'll be sure to try it, thanks so much.

      Delete
  8. Baba Ganoush sounds like it should be a villain in a children's traditional fairy tale!

    ReplyDelete