Saturday, 7 May 2016

A Day Out In Sheffield


We had decided ages ago that yesterday would be the day to go to Sheffield, so Dan made a picnic, we got into the car and set off. Nearly three hours later we arrived. In Sunderland. 

We had very briefly been to Sunderland before, but we only saw the beach and The Stadium of Light, I have to confess until that day I didn't even know Sunderland was near the sea. But it is and it's lovely!

A beautiful day, but very hazy. Towards Roker, from Seaburn
We started off at The National Glass Centre which is part of the University of Sunderland. We didn't really know what to expect but we both really enjoyed it. It's a small venue, right on the river but with some really nice exhibitions. I particularly enjoyed the history section (which is most unlike me) because I found out all about Pyrex, which was made in Sunderland, another thing I did not know. 

The Winter Gardens
We wandered into the centre for a nosey around the Winter Gardens, Mowbray Park and then to the little bonus boost of the trip the Civic Centre (designed by Sir Basil Spence, Bonnington & Collins, 1968). Needless to say that was one of the best things we saw all day. 

points everywhere!

I say one of the best things because even though we took a picnic we did leave space for cake, and we found cake at The Good Apple Cafe on Derwent Street. I can't praise this little place highly enough, well worth a visit if you're in the area. It is a vegetarian cafe, but when we visited all the cakes were suitable for vegans.


I had a nice cup of tea and a slice of lemon cake, Dan went for a carrot cake muffin.


It's a small place, with only 7 tables but it packs a lot in (including Mackie's haggis and cracked pepper crisps)! I was pleased to see that they also offer a suspended coffee service, which meant we could pay an extra £2 and if someone in need of a warm drink came in they could have one for no cost, at the end of each month if there is money in the kitty left over then it is donated to a local group to help people directly which is great. 

We have also have come away with a courgette & lime cupcake and a peanut butter blondie. Well, Sunderland to St Anne's is a pretty long drive!

16 comments:

  1. What a lovely day out it does us all good to have a break now and then x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an interesting place to visit. The cakes look yummy.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was. It's not generally the type of place people would go for a day out I don't think but, as with most places, there were interesting places to see.

      Delete
  3. I think I'd enjoy a glass museum. I agree with Bill Bryson who said that he could have sat on a sandy beach forever and never figured out that you could make it into glass.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here I always thought pyrex was an American made product. Love the cafe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right that Corning, the company to originally make Pyrex is American, Joblings in Sunderland produced the products for the British market until 2007.

      Delete
  5. They do say you learn something new everyday I didn't know pyrex came from Sunderland. Such a great idea to have a suspended coffee service.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really good to see and learn about Pyrex, the 1960s films were fantastic.

      I'd heard about the suspended coffee idea but this is the first time I'd seen it in action.

      Delete
  6. Glad that you enjoyed your day out in Sunderland! That cafe sounds wonderful and the suspended coffee idea is brilliant. More places should follow their lead. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, it's a great idea. The board advertising the service was clear to state there would be no questions asked too which is welcoming to some people I would imagine.

      Delete
  7. That cafe sounds wonderful! The cake looks amazing- I am pleased they catered so well for Vegans!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a lovely little place. Had we had a bit more room we would have tried something savoury too as the specials board was very tempting.

      Delete
  8. I didn't know Sunderland was by the sea either and that was where Pyrex came from. Well that's my learning done for the day.
    Carolx

    ReplyDelete