Skip to main content

Tiles And Smiles

Angela, Marlene and Jo, if you could please send me your contact details to thriftdeluxe at gmail.com I will parcel some fabric up for you. Although I won't be able to post them until the start of May, due to roof hangover cashflow issues, if this is a problem then I apologise. 

Speaking of the roof, the work is done! As I mentioned, things got off to a shaky start on Monday, but after that it was plain sailing and by Thursday afternoon the work was done. The scaffolding was removed on Friday and the skip was taken away, so by teatime on Friday we were all done and dusted, other than a bit of sweeping on the footpath at the front of the house. The building assessor has visited all ready and given us the thumbs up too.

The guys did a great job, were exceptionally polite and didn't cause too much disruption. We took a deep breath and paid the bill and now we just have to wait for the insurance certificate, guarantee and other bits and bobs to arrive. The tiles are a near perfect match to the originals which is just what we wanted, so we have lost none of the "character", if 60's houses have character.

I have now been given the role of dressing the side window every week at the charity shop. The manager was very impressed on her return (I think she was genuine, not just glad to have one less job to do) and I confess I have received a lot of positive comments about it, so that's a good thing. The manager also asked me to pick out the outfits for the main window yesterday. I don't know if she'll use them, but it was fun to do it, but also hard as there's so much space to fill. Kezzie, I'll try to get a photograph of the window, although we have sold quite a few things since I first did it so it doesn't look quite the same as it did on Tuesday.

We are changing our phone and broadband provider this week too, so we'll be saving a few bob and hopefully won't have too much disruption, fingers crossed. 




Comments

  1. Thankyou so much, I will look forward to receiving it.
    Glad your roof is sorted out now, I have always fancied working in a charity shop, perhaps one day.
    We changed broadband providers when we moved and made a good saving.
    Once again thankyou x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is my pleasure.

      I am certainly enjoying my time at the charity shop more now I'm not just stuck behind the till all the time.

      Delete
  2. We have one charity shop in town, that, I kid ye not, has a sign in the window telling us that things in the window are not for sale! It's the one charity shop in town I don't go in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't get me started on that one.

      For certain events our town has a window competition and until it's judged we're not allowed to sell anything and it drives me bonkers. It is something that people get very cross about. I am inclined to agree with them, if it's in the window it should be there to sell.

      Delete
  3. Glad to hear you have found an enjoyable task at the shop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I finally feel like I'm able to use some of my skills rather than just being stuck behind the counter all the time.

      Delete
  4. I'm so glad you've got the roof done with no mishaps. That's one less worry. I look forward to seeing your window display. I've only done shelves at our shop!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mum, I'm so glad I don't have to think about it any longer.

      It is one bright side of the manager being off ill, I would never have been let loose on the window otherwise.

      Delete
  5. How very exciting thank you, I shall send you a message. Great news that your roof is finally finished it must be a relief for you. Congrats on your window dressing role it will certainly help entice more people in I'm sure. I'd like to change providers too but seem to have limited options, hope it goes well for you xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you.

      If I disappear you know the switch over hasn't gone well!

      Delete
  6. Good to hear your Manager has spotted your talent and given you the job of window dressing. Well done! I'm sure it'll make your days there much more interesting. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, yes it does help pass the time. My Tuesday shift was only supposed to be temporary to cover illness yet has now stretched on to be permanent so having something to do is a positive thing.

      Delete
  7. That is absolutely brilliant news re the window- you obviously did an amazing job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It does have a distinct style, in fact a few people have said they guessed I had done it! I went past last night to grab a photo but so much of the original stuff had sold it wasn't really worth it. I'll take a picture next week.

      Delete

Post a Comment