Skip to main content

On My Feet


I have piled on the pounds recently, far too much snacking and trying new recipes, not to mention Dan's fantastic bread so some changes are needed. Our meals are generally fine, it's just the little extras that are sneaking in. 

Yesterday I heard a piece on the radio about the British Heart Foundation "My Marathon" challenge. This is a push to raise money and to get people moving more by encouraging us to run/walk/move 26.2 miles in May. This isn't a charity I generally support but I was surprised to find that I was inspired by the discussion, so I suggested to Dan that an evening walk would be a good idea. Dan doesn't really need the exercise as he cycles to work when he can, but I really do need it, I'm very flabby!

So we started off with a nice easy walk from our house to Starr Gate, I've spoken about walking this route before here, this bit of the beach is not quite as attractive but it is very busy. There are always plenty of dogs, often horses, lots of runners of all ages along with other hobbies taking place - kite surfing, cricket, frisbee, kite flying and last night some people with radio controlled cars, lots to see. 


This is the view looking back towards St Anne's, big beach, big sky, ideal.  

When we were walking back I felt very aware of myself, which may sound odd. I was wearing my light walking shoes so I could feel the changes underfoot from the soft sand to the pebbles to the compacted sand with its many ripples. I don't know how but I was very conscious of how I was moving and holding myself, it was a strange and pleasant sensation - all part of the meditative effect of the beach according to Dan. More of this please.

Comments

  1. I am with you, though I do need to watch my meals, my snacks, and get moving more. I've had little success, and while plateaued, I am down 12 pounds since the first of the year, with a goal of another 52 by the end of 2016, bringing me very back in the normal body weight range.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 12lbs is a very good start, well done. I don't want to lose much weight but I know I would feel the benefit of some additional activity in terms of my energy levels.

      Delete
  2. We do a morning walk every day and it feels so good---most of the time. Sounds like you enjoyed yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really did. When we first moved here we spoke of going for a walk before Dan headed off to work, of course the honeymoon period ended and the walks never happened. Maybe this summer, you never know.

      Delete
  3. Such a beautiful walk and the clarity of the colours in early evening are fabulous. You obviously have a connection with the sea, perhaps that was what you were feeling? Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The colours were amazing, everything was so distinct. I do have a connection to the water, maybe it was my real self coming out a little more.

      Delete
  4. It looks wonderful, doesn't it - and we live here!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was certainly one of those "so that's why we live here" moments that's for certain.

      Delete
  5. I always put on in the winter months, but summer there are plenty of walks to go on, your walk looked wonderful, beautiful scenery.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I think you're right, emerging from the tucked under a blanket and making stew period will almost certainly mean getting out and about more and shedding a bit of winter weight - assuming I can avoid too many ice creams!

      Delete
  6. Ilona, "Life after money" started a walking challenge in January which I have taken up.
    It's to walk 1000 miles this year. See her blog for details.
    It sounds a lot but works out at 3 miles average per day with a few spare days.
    Since starting I have felt so much better mentally and physically. As you say you become aware of your whole being. I am more mindful of how I stand and though my weight has not dropped dramatically my waistbands are much less tight. Good luck on your challenge. Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sue, that's an excellent idea.

      Delete
  7. I know what you mean re the meditative effects. We have been walking regularly since we finished work and try to go early in the morning before doing anything else. We don't live by the sea unfortunately but we are just over the road from beautiful woodland, common and national trust land etc. I find I'm much calmer, and so much more aware of my body and what I'm putting into it when I walk. It's beneficial on so many levels but I do find it harder to go later in the day so mornings are my best time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think being out almost anywhere can bring out that calming effect, especially when there's so aspect of nature making an appearance. I'm glad you understand what I mean about being more aware of myself too.

      Delete
  8. I'm getting a little flabby round the old waistline too - I need a beach like that nearby to motivate me! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't visit the beach as often as I thought I would, but I'm always surprised when I speak to people from the town who never go at all. You'd think we'd all be desperate to get there wouldn't you!

      Delete

Post a Comment