Wednesday, 27 April 2016

New Me

I haven't seen any other blogs mention this today so I thought I would, although I can in no way be as eloquent as many of my friends and friends of friends have been on social media. 

I read something a while ago about privilege (the article was about male privilege and everyday sexism), and it discussed how we can often feel our privilege at work when we think people should shut up going on about their issues. It changed me, I listened to my thoughts and remembered all that eye rolling I'd done over the years, and I started to be a different person. 

For almost two thirds of my life people have been living with what happened at Hillsborough, two lads from my town died and I remember that day as clearly as anything. I was 14 and walked home from my drama class, through the empty streets on my own because, of course, everyone had the match on. When I got home about about 3.30 my parents and brothers were silent (never happened in our house) and my mum just said "you have to see this". Then no-one said anything for a really long time. I don't even know that we had any tea that night.

This is nothing to do with whether you like football or not, or whether you grew up not-that-far-from Liverpool or not, it's about the truth. It's about when you know the truth and you know people are lying about you, your family, your mates, people you've never met or issues that don't have a direct impact on you and you know that the truth is being concealed - even when people with more of a voice than you are trying to shut you down, that's when you don't. The truth will out when people don't allow the truth to become something else. 





9 comments:

  1. We lived in Somerset and felt the same way, watching in silent horror.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of those awful days that are etched in the mind.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you. We all need to know we can use our voice.

      Delete
  3. I am v ashamed to say this but because I don't have a tv, read the newspaper or online news or listen to the radio, I have no idea what has been going on. I should probably find out.x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. I went to read about it. I had heard the name Hillsborough disaster but didn't really know what it was. It's shocking, isn't it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is. The events of the day were bad enough, but the lies and the cover up by the authorities was a disgrace, like something from a film.

      Delete
  5. Very well put. My heart goes out to all those poor families. I remember seeing it on TV, it was awful xxx

    ReplyDelete