Skip to main content

Middle Distance Cake Making

Finally the internet and phone switch over has happened and I am now on faster broadband. We have been offline all day, but I've been out so no hardship for me at all.

We're all going off to celebrate my brother's girlfriend's 40th birthday in a few weeks. Five of the twelve of us are either vegan or, in the case of the small person, allergic to milk. My mum decided that it would be good to have a dairy and egg free cake so we could all eat some, and I have been tasked with locating one as I "know about this sort of thing". 

Dan has located someone and we are currently designing it by committee, Dan tweet the baker, she tweets back questions, Dan tells me, I text my mum she texts me back etc. so who knows what kind of camel we'll end up collecting on the day. 


Speaking of a mish mash, I had a lot of different things to use up last night so I took it as my opportunity to have my try something new night. We ended up with this -




Yes, more sludgy brown food! It was a za'atar roast mushroom with crispy kale along with a kind of orzotto with quinoa and puy lentils, cooked in miso with some leeks, spinach and orange pepper. I called the dish clearly vegan.  I have eaten miso before but never cooked using the paste so it was a new thing, and with a far stronger flavour than the light one I'd had before, very nice it was too. Luckily there was enough left over for me to have for my lunch today.

I did the side window at the shop again today, it was so difficult to find something nice. I have some pictures to share tomorrow, but that pesky sun was out and added lots of glare to everything. I did my best, and I don't often say that!

Comments

  1. I was in your vicinity today. It was a lovely sunny day, wasn't it.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw your post, and I know where you sat for lunch! I love those cheeky starlings! It was lovely, looks like another good one again today.

      We take the sea in on a Tuesday for cleaning.

      Delete
    2. So that's where it goes!

      Delete
  2. Your mushrooms look lovely. I bought some the other week so I will need to use them up soon. I hope the cake works out well, so much hard work trying to please everyone, it does sound fun though xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were very nice, just za'atar and oil brushed all over the mushroom and baked.

      I hope the cake works out too, the woman in question goes big on celebration cakes so I hope she likes this plain but for everyone affair!

      Delete
  3. I used to make a similar cake to this, back in the days when I had children at home to eat cakes with me http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/18867/dairy-and-egg-free-chocolate-cake.aspx. I hope you find something that works for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you, that's really useful.

      Delete

Post a Comment