Monday, 18 April 2016

Hands On


Dan is the baker here, but he's at work and I had foolishly run out of bread so something had to give, I was nice and cosy at home and didn't want to go to the shop, plus we have plenty of ingredients in the pantry. I made some scones. 

To virtually everyone this is a total non-story I know, but the simple act of getting my hands into the sticky gloop is a big thing, I really don't like having wet hands. I'm fine when the rest of me is wet, but just my hands, it makes me feel queasy just to think about it. At least once a month I like to try a food I am a bit scared of, or to do something around food that I'm a bit scared of, today it was to make these scones with my hands and not use the food processor. 

I can happily report they are really quite tasty and touching the mixture wasn't actually as bad as I remembered. 

It's another thing onto the not-shopping list, the more we're making ourselves, the more we're looking around for things to make, we've not decided on the next new thing yet, although chutney has been mentioned a few times. Again, chutney is a basic thing, but it's a newish food to me so it seems very exciting!

18 comments:

  1. The scones look delicious, one of our favourites. Chutneys are a great way of using a glut of surplus fruit and veg up later in the season as is jam making.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I shall probably be on the hunt for chutney tips at some point.

      Delete
  2. Well done you for getting stuck in, it is so easy to pop to the shops, if I can make it I do x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. There are so many things we can't get ready made these days, or they're just so expensive it makes sense to make them at home. For all things flour based Dan is usually in charge.

      Delete
  3. Well done on overcoming your fear of wet gloopy hands and the scones look really good. I've never made chutney but I've made jam which always seems to turn out OK. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I was really pleased with how they turned out, far better than using the food processor.

      Delete
  4. Your scones look lovely. It is making me want to bake a bit this week. Hopefully mine will turn out looking as nice as yours.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I think I almost enjoyed it.

      Delete
  5. I'm not a big fan of sticky hands either, but sometimes it's worth it. Your scones look good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, you're right, sometimes it is worth it.

      Delete
  6. they look great - nice rise.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mike has become chief bread maker in our house too. He isn't a confident cook so it's helped him develop some skills. Your scones look good, I'm glad you've given them a go. No going back now xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I've had to freeze some so I don't just eat them all!

      Delete
  8. Good for you. I often think I could just whip up thigs for dinner, and scones would be a god one to try-hearty with a soup or stew, but also great with jam for coffee in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I love a savoury cobbler or scone topping.

      Delete
  9. Scones look tasty and square too. I like making square ones for a change.
    Carolx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. They're really nice, I thought square was more efficient for re-rolling purposes!

      Delete