Saturday, 19 March 2016

Yum!



We've been on holiday this week and so far we hadn't really spent any money, the tickets for the trip to Manchester were paid for last month. Yesterday we decided to go out for a bit, so we did and it was well worth it. 

Dan made a picnic - lentil soup, a bun, date and cashew bars, a scone and some coffee, we headed off up to Windermere. I wanted to have a look at food processors in the flesh and he wanted to get some more breadmaking inspiration. I was far too excited to pick up these washable cleaning sponges (£1.99) and he was not quite excited enough to get some gingerbread. We went over Kirkstone Pass and ate our picnic halfway along. 



This morning the unstoppable bread maker made more dough, I attended and sorted out my recipe box. It's something I haven't done for ages and there were things in there that I'd never make now, or that I have a recipe I prefer in one of my newer books, it's now nicely slimmed down and I'm far more likely to look there for some inspiration. 

8 comments:

  1. I need to work on slimming down my cookbooks and recipe binders.... I just wonder if perhaps scanning everything and using thumb drives would be a good idea????? I hate to give up my cookbook collection.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use the cards for all those recipes I had torn out of magazines and scribbled onto the back of envelopes, it makes it easier to keep track of them, thumbdrives could work, if they're convenient to use during the cooking process. I still have a lot of cookbooks (especially if you take into account how little I enjoy cooking) because sometimes it's just nice to have a read.

      Delete
  2. I have a recipe book stand where I keep recipes I've picked up. Every 2 months I take out any I haven't used and put the in the recycling bin. If I don't do this the collection gets so big I am discouraged from looking through to find new ideas. Blogs also give me lots of new ideas to try. I love reading other peoples' suggestions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm going to adopt your approach and have a check through the cards every couple of months, menu planning time is ideal. I agree with you, when there are too many it's just off putting. Blogs are a great source of new ideas, I have taken to using mu phone sometimes when cooking to get to something I know I've read online.

      Delete
  3. I've been slimming down my recipes. I've been also routing through my plates and dishes and ones I don't love and hardly use are in a box for the charity shop.

    I've been out in the garden all day - well garden, meaning painting my bench (not the metal yet) and managed to do two coats of lovely pale green. Brushed about 6 generations of cobwebs, bees and other dead livestock out of the shed bench and windows. Next will be the other side. Managed to find out that the directors' chairs covers (folding) pull off so one is in the washing machine waiting to see how it washes before washing the rest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fingers crossed the chair cover comes out well.

      It's so nice to be able to get out into the garden isn't it. I've been peering out for the past few weeks, wanting to do something other than tidying!

      You've reminded me, we really need to clear out the garage before next week. We have no rear or side access to the garden other than through the garage so the roofer will need to being all the scaffold poles and other materials through there. Sounds like a fun weekend!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for your comments. Another thing I do increasingly is to put the ingredients I have into the iPad to see what recipe suggestions come up.
    It works brilliantly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a good way to do it. I now think a recipe stand might be a good idea for me so my phone doesn't have to teeter on the edge of the worktop getting splashed.

      Delete