Tuesday, 1 March 2016

What We Ate/ What We'll Eat

Happy to report I finished my 6th book of the year just before the end of February deadline (The Secrets of Happiness by Richard Schoch). Reading rate should slow now as I want to finish Austerity Britain, which I read the first 247 pages of in about 2008, so I have about 400 pages to go. I don't really read novels so if anyone has some good suggestions for one I could try then please feel free to make suggestions, the last fiction book I read was The Summer Book by Tove Jansson if that helps in any way. 

I didn't really do a menu plan for February, I just had in mind what I wanted to use up, and that I wanted as close to no waste as possible. We did quite well, we were well under budget, the fridge has been empty for about a week and the pantry is thinning out nicely. Here's what we had, the plan didn't start until Dan's friend visited.

7. falafel w. curried bubble and squeak 8. spicy rice 9. curry w. naan 10. bean burgers 11. chestnut stew 12. bean and squash stew w. rice 13. stirfry 14. l/o stew 15. haggis w. potatoes 16. haggis pasties w. cous cous and salads 17. falafel, salads, flatbreads, new potatoes 18. haggis stuffed peppers w. new potatoes and roast veg 19. spag bol 20. pulled jackfruit 21. chilli 22. pasta w. pizza tofu 23. stirfry 24. chickpea tagine w. potatoes 25. l/o tagine 26. curry w. rice 27. dhal 28. crumpets 29. nut roast w, celeriac and assorted veg. 

On the hitlist for March are a small jar of sweet chilli dipping sauce, the rest of the maftoul and as much of the pearl barley as possible. I also want to try out a couple of recipes from Isa Does It, the book I got for my birthday. The first few days are easy as it's everything left in the freezer

1. berbere w. maftoul
2. veg balti w. rice
3. chilli
4. chestnut and puy lentil stew
5. black bean burger w. garlic fries
6. pasta bake

7. smoky Incan stew w. flatbread
8. shepherdess pie
9. shepherdess pie
10 chestnut orzotto
11 stuffed mushrooms w. dhal 
12 mujadara
13 potato hash

14 plaki
15 chili
16 pasta of some kind
17 sausage and mash
18 curry stuffed roti
19 fried rice
20 roast

21 lemon and herb chickpeas
22 ancho lentil tacos
23 l/o tacos
24 shepherdess pie (spiced)
25 l/o
26 soup and sandwich
27 chestnut cobbler

28 lasagne
29 spicy bean pie w. salads
30 enchiladas
31 lemon and thyme chickpeas  


6 comments:

  1. Your menu's are always very interesting. I have to admit that there are a few things on there that I have absolutely no idea what they are. What are plaki, mujadara, bebere and maftoul? They sound Middle Eastern/North African.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you.

      Plaki is gigandes plaki - giant baked beans! Butterbeans baked in a tomato sauce, easy and delicious. Mujadara is also delicious, a Lebanese dish of lentils and rice with onions, I first had this at the street market when we went to the Southbank Centre last November. Berbere is a hot Ethiopian spice blend very earthy, I just use it to make a veg and bean stew. Maftoul are little wheat balls from Palestine and is like big couscous.

      Delete
  2. Sounds delicious, healthy, and right with a frugal budget. Spices are great things aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yes, spices are a real lifesaver, I wouldn't be able to do 101 ways with lentils without them!

      Delete
  3. Please can I come and move in with you? This is my type of food, please let us know what you try out from Isa Does It as I have just got the book too xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! Of course, please bring cake.

    The recipes I'm trying from Isa Does It on this plan are - Island Black Bean Burger (pp. 90-91), baked garlic-curry fries (p. 87), Smoky Incan Stew (p.165) and the Ancho Lentil Tacos (p.110). I may also switch the chestnut cobbler to become Dilly Stew with Rosemary Dumplings (p.151) too. I'll let you know how I get on.

    ReplyDelete