Skip to main content

Use It Up Week


Our life now is very different to how it was back in those dim and distant days of the noughties. We were very frugal then and it was really only when the old house went on the market at the end of 2009 and we kept the house "viewing ready" that convenience started to creep in. That continued when we arrived here and it's a habit that we're still in years later!

So we're having a push, starting with the things we buy that we could make for not that much faff but it will save money and be not too bad to eat instead. Thankfully this hasn't meant going out to buy lots of ingredients, it fits in perfectly with our use it up efforts this year. 

This morning I made some harissa paste, it's something I use a lot and although it's not all that expensive I had most of the ingredients to make it myself. Some of the seeds are coming up to the best before date, and I know they'll still be fine for a long while but it's nice to start to empty the packets. I was also desperate to use up the basil olive oil, to me it doesn't taste like basil at all so using it up in something with a strong flavour seemed like a good idea. 


 I toasted and ground the seeds, blitzed the red pepper, oil and other spices (I had no fresh or dried chillies, only ground, so I used that), cooked it for 10 minutes and then left it until I could put it into a jar. It is hot thanks to the Kashmiri chilli. 

The main reason to make the paste was to make some falafel. I added a tablespoon to two tins of chickpeas, some allspice and fresh coriander then blitzed it and formed it into patties. I don't think my food processor is powerful enough for the job really, it's only a small thing, but it's better than nothing. I froze most of the falafel but had to try a couple


I'd say they are more aromatic than spicy, but that's fine as we usually have some chilli sauce or something with them anyway, and of course they don't have that delicious deep fried flavour as I just did them in a teeny bit of oil. But they are pretty nice and will be great to have in when we need something for lunch. There will be more using it up at the weekend.

Comments

  1. Mmm, sounds good. You are clever to make your own. I've used Harissa rose paste once for a dinner party where we did giant couscous with Harissa Salmon- it was delicious but we never used the rest of the paste and it went mouldly in the fridge- sad times!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a shame, I love rose harissa, or anything rose flavoured really.

      I think some of this may have to go into the freezer as I made a Nutella jar full. I do use it a lot though - we get through a lot of chickpeas!

      Delete
  2. I adore this type of cookery. Sadly there's only me who likes falafel in my house so I tend not to make it. Can I come for tea at yours? Please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a shame, I'm very lucky as Dan will eat pretty much anything, I'm the fussier one.

      If you do come over for falafel, please bring cake!

      Delete
  3. Mmm I love falafel but nobody else does, so along with risotto it's another treat I save for when I'm out. I'm very impressed you made it all from scratch. Clever thing. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although it's annoying to not have something more often I think it is nice to have certain things you only eat when you go out for a meal.

      Everything was very simple to make, and as I had all the ingredients anyway it seems a bit daft that I've been buying it in for so long.

      Delete
  4. Those falafel look lovely! I can't wait to get back to proper cooking, we haven't had much of a kitchen since we moved here last June, and all sorts of convenience food has snuck in! I used to cook mostly from scratch and I can't wait to get back to that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it's so good to have home made convenience food.

      I can imagine you're raring to go in a full kitchen, you'll be unstoppable!

      Delete
  5. You are very good to make your own paste, I must admit to buying it but, like you, I have all the spices so perhaps I will have a go soon xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I felt guilty having all the spices hanging around doing nothing. It's very simple to make, if you have a spare jar and some spices to use up I recommend it.

      Delete

Post a Comment