Sunday, 13 March 2016

Semi-Nakd



Still talking about cooking, don't worry we'l be eating from the freezer soon and I won't have anything else to say for a while! I can't say I have fallen in love with cooking, but I am glad to be using things up, making things from my cookbooks rather than just reading them, and trying new things.

Yesterday we used some vouchers we had for Holland and Barrett and treated ourselves to some coconut milk icecream, it's the ideal thing to have after a burger. From the book Isa Does It I made the Island Black Bean Burgers and Dan made curry fries (pictured above), they were both delicious and simple to make, no obscure ingredients or fancy equipment needed. I used panko breadcrumbs, but next time I'll just use whatever bread we have in. The mixture made 8 burgers, we ate one each and froze the rest.

We also made some fruit and nut Nakd-style bars



Only three ingredients, the recipe said to use raisins too, but we didn't have any. It's just a matter of blitzing them in the food processor, pressing into a mould of some kind and leaving in the fridge for half an hour. I confess we didn't have total success with this as I didn't squidge the mixture together enough so it was very crumbly even when it had been in the fridge. But the bars/pile of bits taste great and I'll certainly make them again. Half are in the fridge, half in the freezer. Doing this also tested the power of my food processor, it had to rest a couple of times, so I may be on the lookout for something a bit more powerful if we're going to keep up the cooking from scratch.


Today is all about watching football, drinking tea and hopefully finishing my library book. It's a gorgeous day and I'm so relaxed!




12 comments:

  1. I've done a bit of baking today. Another Clear the Pantry Traybake. OH loves them for cycling and as I rarely buy cakes or other sweet things it's nice to have something we can eat as a desert with yoghurt or just with a cup of tea or coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to have a go at those Nakd bars. Sounds easy, fun and delish.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really are so easy to make. I don't know how money saving they are for us though as I keep finding Dan with his hand in the tin :)

      Delete
  3. Hope you got to finish your book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, I did, it was a really good read, very interesting.

      Delete
  4. we made black bean burgers from a different recipe recently, so surprising how delicious and filling they are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are aren't they. Dan suggested having two but I'm glad I only did one each, it was plenty.

      Delete
  5. The bars sound like something my husband would like. I think I may try to make them very soon.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope he likes them should you try it. I used 2 cups of dates, 1 1/2 cups cashews, 2tbsp cocoa, I got the recipe from here -

      http://rosannaskitchen.com/index.php/homemade-nakd-bars/

      Delete
  6. The curry chips sound and look delicious

    ReplyDelete
  7. They were and very simple to make. Isa Does It is quickly becoming my favourite cookbook.

    ReplyDelete