Skip to main content

Robinson. H


I bought this Heath Robinson for Dan (reflection of my lovely face is obviously a bonus for you to enjoy). Today he embraced that spirit.

As you know my life is all glamour and high-end living.

Yesterday Dan was in the kitchen and I was in the shower, he noticed some water coming through the ceiling. It was caused by the wonky tiles in the bathroom, I think I mentioned a few weeks ago that one had fallen off. Well, water is clearly getting behind them and we are unwilling to do anything about it until we have the bathroom redone - something we thought would be this year until the whole thing with the roof began.

So from the depths of the garage came our temporary solution


A couple of rubble sacks and some waterproof tape. Why not just have a bath instead you may ask, because the water pressure is terrible, we'd wait all night for the bath to fill.

We're also hoping that this solution will be a spur to further saving. We will have nothing but the baby emergency fund when we've paid for the roof so we are starting all over again with the kitchen and bathroom savings. Every time I see or think of this plastic I hope I will be reminded to not buy something unless it is really needed. 

Comments

  1. Life has a way of knocking your savings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does indeed, but I'm very glad we had them.

      Delete
  2. Nothing like a physical reminder of why a person needs to save. It works for me and I am sure it will work for you as well.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I think it will. A bonus of having this arrangement is now we both quite kike the idea of large panels rather than tiles when we do eventually have the work done on the bathroom. Every cloud has a silver lining.

      Delete
  3. That's exactly the sort of remedy Mark would come up with. As long as it works that's the main thing. We have poor water pressure here too. I tend to do a few upstairs jobs while I'm waiting for a bath if I'm having one. We mainly have showers here for that reason as well. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, if it works, it works and at the moment that's all we want.

      Delete
  4. Nice picture you got for Dan. Dan has done a nice neat job on the tiles and should last for quite some time.
    Carolx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I don't usually look at the pictures or frames at the shop but this caught my eye, and right before Dan's birthday too so I was very happy.

      I'm impressed with the bathroom fix so far, the tape is water resistant so we should't have to replace it too often.

      Delete
  5. ahrgh that's really annoying. You are very good at saving and being thrifty so I am sure you will be able to save a new fund but still it's really hard you're going to have to start again.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It's giving me time to think about the changes we'd like to make. So far we've got no further than wanting a Barbican sink.

      Delete
  6. I love the Heath Robinson picture - I can't really see you though! That's a good solution to a leak. I need my bathroom floor sorting as it squeaks as the pieces of MDF or whatever they used are not level. The artex on the ceiling is coming off too, as it was not sealed before artexing. I feel like just asking them to lob on a piece of plasterboard. Bathrooms of the 80s were not finished off as well as they are doing them now - but we can't afford a new bathroom nor a new kitchen. I quite like the bathroom as it has blueish tiles and a very pale blue bath, which I really don't dislike at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a minty coloured suite in our old house, I didn't really mind that either, although the previous owner had added khaki tiles which didn't set it off too well!

      I agree that the finish you see with bathrooms and kitchens now are amazing compared to the ones I remember from years ago. I know what you mean about chucking some plasterboard over some areas, it's too much faff to think about sometimes - especially for something you won't give a second thought to once it's done!

      Delete

Post a Comment