Tuesday, 15 March 2016

Progress

You know when something just pops into your head?

On Sunday Dan starting frantically looking at paperwork for the house and tapping on his phone. He'd thought about building regs. for the new roof (something I would never have thought of). He emailed someone at the council about it to see what needed to be done. Impressively, by 7.50 on Monday morning we had a reply. If the roofer was part of the accredited scheme it was fine, if not we needed to supply them with papers and pay £150. 

Guess which one is the case for us.

I was very keen to still have our guy do the job, I think he's great, Dan was prepared to walk away from it, he's never met him you see so he's not as bothered. After a couple of phonecalls and voicemails we spoke to the roofer and all is well. He has applied for the accreditation, I think the law is changing in October so he needs to have the paperwork by then. If he hasn't received his papers by the time our new roof is fitted he will pay the £150 and deal with the paperwork. Can't say fairer than that.  

Interestignly, when looking at the papers for the house we learned that we're not allowed to have any outbuildings. Not as exciting as our last house where we weren't allowed to make bricks or sell coffee, but it is fun to find out these restrictions from times gone by. 

We had a great weekend, and start to this week. We walked to the library and town twice, I read the Dig for Victory book so quickly I wanted something else, we have started to move the money for the roof so it's all in one place, we got a fair amount of work done in the garden. I did some planting, dan started to even out the former lawn. We also did some more cooking. I made some sweetcorn fritter, as we love the ones from M&S, but they're more than £2 a time, Dan made some pitta (using the recipe from River Cottage Veg Everyday). I'll add some more spices to the fritters next time, but everything was delicious, and yes, we used up the small jar of chilli dipping sauce. 


9 comments:

  1. thats great news about the roofer. No outbuildings? I often wonder how any of these restrictions would be enforced and how anyone but yourself would ever know? The food looks delicious, I'll have to give the fritters a try :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the thing, I have no idea who would be poking around in my back garden checking for illegal sheds!

      The fritters were so simple, just a batter made with flour and water, chuck in the sweetcorn, spring onions and any spices or seasoning - make them as simple or fancy as you like, fry them for a couple of minutes each side and there you go!

      Delete
  2. No chickens allowed at one of my past homes! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting. Should I ever own land I will try to think of an exciting and odd restriction!

      Delete
  3. It's a good job Dan thought about the planning regs as it could have caused problems if you'd gone ahead with the work without it. Those weekends where you get things straight in your head at least are really useful.

    I had a night like that last night, as I couldn't sleep for thinking about different things that are going on here at the moment. It did have the benefit of my coming up with a mental plan of action, which is a start. We just need to start implementing it now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was watching George Clarke on the telly that made him think of it.

      Oh, I hate it when things are just swirling around in your head at night, but at least you have a way forward now, so not all in vain.

      Delete
  4. LOL always something strange, at the last house, the church could have a 1/4 of our garden produce (they never came for it). And at this house we are allowed a goat but not a boar.

    ReplyDelete