Skip to main content

Pantry Check Up

There are some small but clear changes around the house over the past few months. Dan keeps claiming the kitchen and especially the pantry smell like a health food shop, something he assures me is a good thing. The pantry is certainly starting to look different, in focus if not totally in content. 



Dan's bread making section is getting bigger, there's more variety, and although I don't think we have more spices now they are in a more prominent position, here's what it looked like last April. There's still some convenience items in there, the taco salsa was in a meal kit as cheap as the tacos I really wanted so that needs to be used up somehow. We're going to try to make tortillas soon so maybe tacos will be off the shopping list at some point in the future. 


I dug out these two spices, I bought the za'atar on a whim and the sumac for something specific, but I can't remember what now. So I made a salad dressing with the za'atar and sprinkled the sumac onto some houmous for lunch. They were both pretty nice so it's a start. I'll have to have a scour of the recipe books for other ideas.  


Use it up month has been successful, there are plenty of empty jars, the coffee/spice grinder has become one of the most used gadgets, after quite a long time spent gathering dust. 

The work surface has changed too



The food processor, stovetop coffee maker and the teapot and cup live out all the time as there's no point putting them away. The teapot was bargain of the week last week, brand new and £1.49. It's a bit cluttered but never mind. 



Finally, there's nothing showing yet, but the indoor herb garden is here too. 

Comments

  1. It all looks great. It's very satisfying to use up those things that have been hanging around in the cupboards for a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Other than spices that just take a long time to use up I think we've used up most of the loitering products.

      Delete
  2. You're doing well. Just out of interest, where did you buy your coffee grinder and how much did it cost?x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I am cooking so much more, it's almost enjoyable.

      We bought the grinder many years ago, they don't even make this model anymore, but Dan seems to think it was probably £20-£25 from maybe Argos or somewhere glam like that.

      Delete
  3. Your worktop looks pretty clear to me. Oh dear, I have pantry envy. I'd love a separate pantry to store the essentials.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of my favourite things about the house, it really does free up a lot of space and is a real luxury.

      Delete
  4. I thought your kitchen looked very nice, not cluttered at all. Mine is far more cluttered but it's probably much smaller than yours and I like gadgets. Your pantry is what I'd love, I had one at one house but now - no chance at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I think I'm just too stingy to buy gadgets even though my head gets turned when I'm out and about!

      Delete
  5. So neat and tidy (I hang my head in shame!) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I confess that I probably do spend a bit to much time keeping it tidy!

      Delete
  6. LOVE za'atar and sumac - in fact I have a great love for most spices and herbs. Good to see your shelves looking like mine too! Lxx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment