Skip to main content

Walking Fail



I finished another book last night, The Human Part by Kari Hotakainen. I loved this book, initially as the main character was not a fan of fiction and the way people become so immersed in it. As I've probably said before I can't stand the snobbery around reading, and the well over the top reaction from certain folk when someone dares to get rid of books or even worse, they read a book on an e-reader *gasp*. Anyway, the book was not about that, but about a lady who sells her life story to an author with writer's block. 

The only reason I was able to get through it in such short time is that we came back from Manchester early. We had planned to attend a talk at Home but foolishly I fell down the stairs at the train station and my leg was hurting so much after walking from Oxford Road station to the Whitworth and back we didn't stay. We did look at Incidents of Travel in the Multiverse, I could cope with that as it involved a lot of sitting down!

It was a cheap day out too, we booked a Duo train ticket, which meant one of us travelled for half price. We took water and falafel pitta with us, both galleries were free, and we used some points on my Costa card to get a coffee - all those after work bonding sessions with my colleague finally paid off! Today I have my foot up, watching Dan sort out the former lawn area. Fortunately for me the charity shop is closed today, we've had all manner of drama and I'm not quite sure when it will be open again, maybe tomorrow, maybe next week, who knows. 

Comments

  1. Hope you are feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ouch! Hope your foot is feeling better soon. Your fritters look yummy - have you tried the Cranks ones with avocado and mango salsa? They're a big favourite with my girls. Enjoy your enforced rest. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you.

      I haven't tried that recipe, I shall look it up, avocado and mango salsa sounds right up my street.

      Delete
  3. Oh goodness, I hope your charity shop opens again soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I think it may open again today, it all depends on whether the volunteer with the spare keys can come in.

      We're at the point where the big boss wants us all to learn how to do the banking, till stuff and open or close the shop, the deputy manager has been made redundant you see. With the manager off sick this week we're in turmoil.

      I'm not prepared to take on that level of responsibility for free. That may be selfish but in my opinion it devalues the role of the manager and leaves volunteers vulnerable.

      Delete
  4. Oh dear. I do hope your leg feels better very soon. You take care of yourself.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear about your accident, I'm a clumsy soul so I know how easily it can happen. Enjoy your time off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I don't know how it happened, but I'm thankful I was able to reach the handrail.

      Delete
  6. My'snobbery' over e-readers is an anxiety over a society where EVERYTHING is run by technology- I like to be able to look at something that is not a screen, I spend so much of my life being reliant on technology, I do not want my reading experience and love of a book to have to come to that too. They are very useful for travelling and space saving and environmentally, not chopping down trees but I just don't want to look at another screen. I love the feel of a real book.
    I hate non-fiction, this is why I love fiction, I just find non-fiction dull and it doesn't capture my interest.

    I'm glad you had a good time at the museum and it was cheap and you got something out of all those tiresome sessions with the work colleague. Did you enjoy the galleries you saw? Were they worth the trip?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think all (or even most) people who like to keep all their books/ don't like e-readers are book snobs. What I don't like is the superior attitude certain book lovers have over others who don't worship books in the same way, as though book ownership (or ownership of anything) bestows a person with some intelligence, creativity or other quality just by having them in their possession. It just leaves a bitter taste for me.

      The galleries were pretty good, I don't think the one at Home would be for everyone, but the Tibor Reich at The Whitworth was very enjoyable, and was the main reason we visited. I was delighted to see not one but six Paul Nash pieces there too.

      Delete
  7. The fall sounds painful, hope your leg is on the mend. I do love a drama, but only as long as I'm not involved haha. Hope the one at the charity shop resolves itself soon. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it feels much better today.

      I also love a good drama occasionally, I try to stay out of it myself though, I'm not very brave!

      Delete

Post a Comment