Sunday, 6 March 2016

Home Shopping

When I was little my favourite meal was hash. My mum would get the terrifying pressure cooker out and make an enormous pan of it - potatoes, carrots, stewed steak from a tin, usually from the Christmas hamper and stock. I loved it.

Fast forward thirty years and we bought a tin of lentil hotpot from the healthfood shop. It tasted just like hash! Only it is nearly two quid a tin, and I now know that the reason we ate hash with a side of suet was because it was very cheap. So today I set about making my own, Dan is feeling a bit under the weather so we switched the menu plan in order to have comfort food. I don't own a terrifying pressure cooker of my own so I used my trusty iron casserole instead.



I washed some green lentils, peeled and chopped some carrots and potatoes, put then into the dish with stock make of stock powder, paprika, black pepper, marmite and sage. Left it on the hob for a couple of hours and there we have it - hash!


Gloopy and delicious. I've just had a bowl for my lunch and will eat more later on until it's all gone or I explode, whichever happens first. 

I no longer need to buy expensive hotpot. This lead to us adding a couple of other things to the not-shopping list. We have been a bit lazy recently and have fallen back onto convenience foods, so from now on we'll be making our own falafel and houmous again. Dan's back on fancy bread and muesli making duties and I am going to attempt to make the sweetcorn fritters we've become quite fond of. This will get rid of the tahini dressing, sweet chilli sauce, yeast, basil infused oil, and bread flour that have been hanging around in the pantry. I also finished the dulse this week so that's another thing gone. 

Oh and I bought some washing powder, but it's a bit moist under the sink so I wanted a container to keep it a bit more dry. I had a poke around and found a plastic cube we got as a freebie years ago. Turns out it's the perfect size for a box of washing powder. 


16 comments:

  1. I love hash we often have our version, made with a tin of corned beef. It is so easy to fall back into bad habits, we are very good at justifying our reasons, we had pizza last night, it was a BOGOF with free delivery, I do have enough of mine left so lunch tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just such good comfort food!

      I know what you mean, I am great at coming up with a reason why buying x,y and z is a sensible idea. The real reason is generally laziness.

      Delete
  2. Hash was a staple meal in our house too and I loved it. On my Mum's side they always used 'proper' meat, on my Dad's side corned beef. We'd have it with dumplings or if Mum put a pastry lid on, it then became potato pie. The first serving was good but the warmed up one we used to have for supper tasted even better, and was thicker in texture. Oohh my mouth's watering now! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yuuuuuuum! Dan has suggested making it into a pasty for when we go to the football, when we lived in East Lancs (and still ate dairy) we could buy a potato pasty from the bakery which was pretty much just mash, this is an ideal replacement.

      Delete
  3. Home made always tastes better and of course it's much cheaper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, I just need to be a bit more organised I think.

      Delete
  4. I absolutely adore hash and if you can ...leave it a day...it tastes even better!!! I like it with a good glug of brown sauce!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yum! Dan went for the brown sauce option too.

      Delete
  5. Well done on making a cheap alternative! Health food tins are often super expensive!! I bought a tin of refried black beans which were so pricy!!!Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I do like to buy a ready made thing occasionally to check what the thing is supposed to taste like, then I can go home and try to recreate it.

      Delete
  6. That looks absolutely delicious - I must give it a try. Just catching up on your posts - your bunnies are so sweet! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. The hash is so simple, and great if you need some comfort food.

      Delete