Sunday, 14 February 2016

Some Of The Fun Of The Circus



Yesterday we went to the very beautiful Blackpool Tower Circus (if you haven't been and get the chance, go! It's a wonderful building). February half term sees the return of Showzam, a festival of the circus. The show, Klaxon was just brilliant, although I am a fan of the circus so I am biased - clown haters fear not, there is no scary make up!

We also visited Showzam Central in The Winter Gardens, anyone who follows Mum's blog will have seen her splendid pictures of this building already. Here we saw some of the free sideshows, we were there for the ensemble performance which included a strongwoman, hula-hooping, a man with a balloon on his head and a stuntpig - I only narrowly avoided a collision with that!

We had planned to stay to see the grand finale to Saturday which was a 90 minute stomp through the town centre, and having seen some of the photographs the ending did look amazing with fireworks, flames and a blue man standing atop the Grand Theatre (another gorgeous building) but as we were following the performance it was just too busy for me and I started to have a panic attack so we had to leave. I don't like crowds, but I can cope with a big city because everyone knows what they're doing and things flow. Here it did not and running the assault course of people stopping to take pictures, pushchairs, street furniture and cigarette smoke was too much. 

To avoid the temptation of takeaways, restaurants and chips I prepared the veg for tea before we went out. Another something out of not very much


The noodles and sauce were half price as part of a Chinese New Year promotion, our sprouted seeds, roasted sunflower seeds - now all used up, and some bits of veg.


It was nicer than it looked, like most things. 

8 comments:

  1. I understand what you mean. If I'm prepared for crowds-big city, I'm fine. It's the crowding of my personal space that gives anxiety. Well done on the asian inspired meal. Looks very good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going for a wander around town with a couple of friends on Tuesday. There's so many things going on I don't know where we'll start or finish.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it. This year seems a lot more organised than the last couple of years, but then again I'm not usually someone who attends family friendly events so the fact that's been the orientation it's not really aimed at me. This year is probably the best Showzam since 2010 when La Clique performed.

      Delete
  3. We've never been to see any Showzam and intended going this year but as L recently had surgery we are going to postpone it until next year.
    Your tea looks very tasty.
    Carolx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a few good things planned in Blackpool, I think it's next year Kong is coming, which sounds great. If Showzam mange to get events as good as this year then you should have something good to see next time round. Hope L's recovery is going well.

      Delete
  4. I find crowds very uncomfortable and avoid then as much as possible. I think your dinner looks very tasty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it was not too bad at all, and not having to chop when we got home was very welcome. Crowds can be very stressful, for me it was the being carried along rather than feeling in control of my own destiny!

      Delete