Sunday, 21 February 2016

Sloppy Jack

This weekend has been a kitchen sort out weekend. We've cleaned out the pantry and most of the cupboards and things are better organised now, we didn't throw anything away, but lots of things were returned to their proper home, mainly in the garage, and I found the two upholstery cloths for the steam cleaner, very happy about that.

In the spirit of using it up we finally ate the jackfruit, it's been hanging around since Dan brought it back from Norwich at the start of November. I have been reluctant to try it, mainly because I am reluctant to try most new foods (although I am far better than I used to be) and because jackfruit is used to make a meat free version of pulled pork and those words together make me feel queasy! So I named what we made "sloppy jack" which, truth be told, is probably no better a name. 

This is what the fruit looks like when it comes out of the tin, pretty horrible isn't it? It looks very meaty in its raw state. 



It was coated in ground cumin, coriander and cayenne and cooked for about ten minutes



Then I added the sauce, I couldn't find barbeque sauce so I used a jar of Hunters Chicken sauce (I used about two thirds of a jar for this meal and had used the other third in the chilli I made on Friday as I ran out of passata).



After about 15 minutes I pulled the fruit apart with two forks and added the very last bits of sauce, swilled out of the jar with a bit of water.



It was very steamy! Served on a big bun with some potato wedges.

The verdict? We both quite enjoyed it. I can see why people who don't eat meat but still enjoy the meat texture/appearance rave about it, I'm not bothered about that so it didn't have quite the same appeal. But the jackfruit took on the spices and worked well with the sauce. It was a good Saturday night treat. It wasn't particularly cheap, the jackfruit was £1.40 and the sauce 85p, we already had the bread and potatoes. I would have it again, but wouldn't go out of my way to buy the ingredients, should I ever see it on a menu anywhere it could be a good option. Well worth us giving it a try, quick, easy and pretty tasty.  

14 comments:

  1. You're the only person I have ever heard speak of jackfruit!

    Those two words make me queasy too, glad it isn't just me xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read about jackfruit a lot on various blogs and things but I'd never seen it before Dan brought it home.

      Delete
  2. I have always wondered...thanks for the information. I'm not sure I would go out of my way to buy this [but if it is cheap next time I am in Norwich...] Weekend blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you do decide to try it, you are looking for the young jackfruit in brine, not in syrup.

      Delete
  3. It looks like part of the moon so perhaps it should taste like cheese!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a bit moonlike. Thankfully in the flesh it had quite a pinky tinge, had I thought it looked anything like cheese I would never have eaten it, cheese is at the very bottom of the "foods I like to eat" list!

      Delete
  4. I'm not a vegetarian, but that looked quite good. I don't think I've ever heard of jack fruit before. I thought it looked a bit like cheese chunks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was good, a real change from the type of thing we'd usually eat.

      Delete
  5. It doesn't look very appealing from the tin but the meal you made looks really tasty. I was interested to see what jackfruit was, thanks for sharing. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I shall ask vegetarian daughter whether she knows about jackfruit. "It's been hanging around since Dan brought it back from Norwich at the start of November" - oh! Then I read further and realised it was in a tin. Glad you had a fruitful weekend with the kitchen sort out. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you seen what one look like on the tree? I doubt I'd have space in my house for a big thing thing that! Enjoy your week.

      Delete
  7. It certainly looked 100% better after you'd added some recipe magic!

    ReplyDelete