Wednesday, 24 February 2016

More Micro Management


The Grand Overlord Of The Shops has given each of the shop managers some light reading material, to help whip their underlings into shape. My manager asked me if I wanted to read it before she did, so of course I said yes. Dan attends courses like this on a not infrequent basis and I enjoy nothing more than hearing about it, with the accompanying eye rolls. I would enjoy nothing less than attending such events, I'm not the sitting-around-in-a-room-being-motivated type. 

My favourite course has to be Pack Types, a self awareness rollercoaster where you find out what kind of dog you are according to your personality, approach to work and to other people. 

As a humble till widget I'm far too unimportant to need the wisdom of such books, I know my place and all that stuff, but just for fun I did choose my strengths from the list provided. I was unsurprised to discover that my strengths are about how I feel about things, not whether I get approval from any other source - it has often been said I can be led to water but there's no knowing about my thirst.

Removing my tongue from my cheek for a moment, as I know people do this for a living and some people get more from it than a morning out of the office, there was one aspect of the book I did agree with (it was not that the author seemed to assume I wouldn't know what a synapse is). I agree that sometimes you have to manage around weaknesses rather than focus on the damage limitation exercises of trying to make people less rubbish at things they're rubbish at. 

The author claims the best area for growth is not by working on your weaknesses but on focusing on your strengths, I think that to some extent at least it's a really good idea. If you can get individuals or groups all working to their strengths it's probably going to be better than trying to get everyone to behave in the same way. It's just like being at home isn't it, Dan does stuff like phoning people and making sure the house doesn't fall down, I organise things so they happen at the right time and in the right way - it balances things out. If we were both the same there would be no point to one of us being here. 

I am very interested to see which five of the thirty four strengths my manager thinks I have, and will her view be in any way similar to mine? This afternoon should be fun.  


4 comments:

  1. I like the idea of playing to strengths & look forward to hearing how all this pans out, Vee x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thing to some extent my manager is quite good at this already, or at least if we say we prefer to do a certain task she encourages us to do it. Not everyone wants to do that little bit extra though so I will be interested to see if she will push it further after reading the book.

      Delete
  2. Working to your strengths is a good idea. If I focused on my weakness's I'd never get anything done.

    ReplyDelete