Skip to main content

Freebie and Bargain of the Week

No free things this week but we are attending two free events, one we had to travel to and the other in a place we were going to be anyway, so you may think they're not really free, up to you. The fist was last night, we went to Edge Hill University again to hear a talk as part of the Festival of Ideas. We listened to Prof. Kate Oakley, and Eddie Berg of FACT talk about New Labour and the impact it had on culture, especially in relation to access and inequality. I had never thought about any of the issues before but found it to be really interesting, especially the discussion surrounding instrumentalism and the switch from things being for the social good and being more about the financial good. Some of the themes touch on areas of Dan's job so he found it really useful, and joined in a little bit. 

The second freebie is a preview of the newest exhibition at Harris gallery in Preston, Nothing Happens Twice, it's an exploration of absurdity which sounds exciting and is based in the city of Preston and of course the very beautiful bus station (and have I mentioned several times that Keith Ingham designed my house?) We're going to be in Preston anyway as Dan's friend is coming to visit and the bus station is on his must-see list.

The bargain was something on the grocery list. We were in Lancaster on Saturday and nipped into Oxfam as Dan needed some face cream. We had a little look on the reduced shelf and Dan pointed out some spices. 


I used the last of the our turmeric last week and have about half a teaspoon of garam masala. The set was originally £9.99, I paid £2.90. all the jars have a best before date of 2018 so I'm well pleased and looking forward to our next curry night. 


Comments

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks. I've resisted opening them for a sniff!

      Delete
  2. Ahhh if I hadnt had my nose glued to the accounts I could have come and met you for a brew!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent find - I do love a nice curry. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, I'm very happy and looking forward to trying them out.

      Delete
  4. Great deal on the spices. Enjoy the exhibit. I would consider the outings as free, after all a person has to travel to most free exhibits or talks.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jackie. It was interesting at the gallery, there were far more people there than I expected but that was in part due to most of them featuring in the film! The other pieces were of more interest to me as it turned out, a few things I'd seen before and one film I'd heard a lot about but had never seen. Well worth the trip.

      Delete

Post a Comment