Thursday, 14 January 2016

Useful and Beautiful

Apologies, this is picture heavy.

I was picking something up off the floor at the charity shop yesterday when I spotted a box, I mainly had a look at it as I liked the design, I thought it was just a box of thread. It was not, it was a box that became a birthday gift for myself. 


I love how Industry Relations is crossed out!
When I opened the lid this is what was inside. 



Big Grey Bunny refused to be relocated

It's an education kit all about British cotton!






Along with the raw materials and fabric swatches there is lot of printed information. 








I just love it, Dan also loves it, I think I mentioned before that his Great Grandfather was an engineer in the mills in East Lancs and worked all over the world setting up cotton machinery.




Not bad for £4. 

14 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I would love to know how it ended up in the shop, we have no other 50s stuff in at the moment so there are no clues to be seen.

      Delete
  2. what a wonderful thing. When you are done with it I am sure your local museum would love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gill, that's a really good idea.

      Delete
  3. What an interesting purchase. I particularly like the booklet about buying things that last longer. Very useful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is, there's lots of information in there, and of course it all looks gorgeous.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. It is, it's interesting in itself, but the social history of it is fascinating too.

      Delete
  5. What a great piece of history.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How wonderfully pertinent to your family history! I think that is brilliant too! I've ALWAYS wanted to know how cotton was produced and wanted to see a cotton tree on real life so take some close UPS of the info as I'd love to read it.

    ReplyDelete