Skip to main content

The Big Screen

We spent £7 at the weekend which wasn't too bad. Saturday was a no spend day, Sunday was supposed to be a no spend day as Dan had to work. It was going well until the work IT system locked him out and wouldn't let him back in. So we went to the cinema to see The Big Short.

I love our cinema and hope to visit lots this year, its £3.50 per ticket, they are also part of the Meerkat Movies scheme so if you qualify you can get two tickets for £3.50. What a bargain! Snacks are cheap, the smallest tub of popcorn they sell costs 50p. Of course the building itself is no frills but who cares?

Before I met Dan I used to visit the cinema at least twice a week. Over the past decade and a half that's dropped to maybe twice a year. I hope we'll make more use of the cinema this year, it only re-opened a few years ago so we're in a use it or lose it situation. For such a reasonable price it's an affordable luxury. 

Speaking of luxury, we decided to spend our change jar money on some artwork, so we've ordered two screenprinted panels. The seller has been busy with his family this month so has just started on our order. When we were arranging courier costs we discovered he lives in the next village to my parents, so we're going to save a few bob and collect them rather than have them come to us. We need to drop some furniture off with Chris, my brother who lives on The Wirral so we can have a full day out, improve the house, and get rid of some junk from the garage.  

Comments

  1. We are lucky enough to have several local cinemas in the area, most were built by and for the miners, admission is around the £3 mark and they all run a loyalty card so every 11th visit is free.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's excellent, it's so nice to be able to walk to the cinema and not be ripped off.

      Delete
  2. Combining jobs for greater efficiency and, in this case, a grand day out with a reward at the end of it. Great stuff.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My brother doesn't have a car, so we have to drive down there anyway, so we'll certainly be spending less on fuel than we would pay for delivery.

      Delete
  3. We had a night out at a local indie cinema this weekend, to see The Reverant. Not what I expected and very hard to watch at times. I spent much of the film hiding behind my scarf. We want to see The Big Short. Is it worth going to see?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw the trailer for that and although it looks very animal-deathy it also looked pretty exciting, we might make the effort to go, even if I do feel a bit squeamish.

      We both loved The Big Short. I confess to being a big fan of Steve Carell but I enjoyed everything about it, there was a great balance between the serious and funny aspects too, which was important as what happened hit so many of us. I don't think I've seen a film with Christian Bale before but I thought he was fantastic.

      Delete
  4. Wow, your cinema and popcorn sound like a bargain; much cheaper than here. Do post a photo of your screen prints when you've collected them; I'd love to see them. Have a great week. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I happily give up a fancy foyer and all that stuff for such a bargain close to home. I certainly will share a picture of the panels when we get them. Enjoy your week.

      Delete
  5. I do hope you'll show us your art when it arrives!
    That's a brilliant cinema price. We went to Burnham on Crouch for the day in the holidays and discovered they have a £3.50 cinema too with £1 popcorn- we decided to stay for the evening and go to the cinema since we were there!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will indeed.

      The cost is the thing that has put me off going to the cinema over the past few years, £7 is fine, £7 each not so fine!

      Delete
  6. Wow £3.50 is sooooo cheap it costs the best part of £8 a ticket here hence why we hardly ever go the cinema sadly. Enjoy and have fun, dee :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) The cost of going to one of the big cinemas really is offputting, unless you have a monthly/annual pass.

      Delete
  7. I haven't been to the cinema in years, I decided to boycott the multiplex in favour of the proper ones that are still around, but even so, there have been few films I have been that interested in going to the pictures to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean.

      I just made the decision to start to go. I like what I like but I don't want to just spend all my time doing things I know I like, so a couple of films I wouldn't usually watch won't do me any harm at all.

      Delete

Post a Comment