Skip to main content

Day Trip To Llandudno



We've taken to having a day out on my birthday, I don't know when this started or why, but it's now a tradition. We packed some falafel sandwiches - made with the 29p ciabatta, falafel and some tomatoes left over from new year, some raspberry buns made by Dan and a bottle of water and we set off. 

Some of you may have already noticed the above building is not in Llandudno, or even in Wales, we ended up in Barnard Castle at Bowes Museum. 

What a great choice it was too, along with the permanent displays - from the silver swan to paintings by Goya and Canaletto there were three excellent exhibitions. Firstly, the one we knew about another Artist Rooms featuring the photography of Robert Mapplethorpe (if you think you don't know him you've probably seen his work, he shot the cover of Horses by Patti Smith, for example). Then there was New Light, an exhibition of contemporary northern art, some of the pieces there were just fantastic. Finally Quiltscapes and Quiltline by Pauline Burbidge - this was so inspirational for me. I have picked up my old embroidered quilt and am using that as the sketchbook to help me with a new one. The Pauline Burbidge show is at Bowes Museum until 10th April then moves to Ruthin Craft Centre from 23rd April until 12th July and is well worth a look. 

As I thought we would be eating out on two days this week, one on a day out and the other when my parents visited, I hadn't planned, as it was we ate at home both days as my parents have the lurgy. We spent £1 on some veggie sausages for a brunchy treat and ate soup from the freezer one day and we cobbled together some leftovers for the other day instead. Added to the shopping list is a food flask, this is a good thing as it will bump up the shopping total so I can use another voucher. It's very odd that now I'm being so careful with money it's hard to think of things to spend money on without buying for the sake of it. It's a good test, I shouldn't have this happy problem next month when the pantry is bare. 

Comments

  1. Happy birthday, sounds like you found a good way to spend it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, I had a fantastic time.

      Delete
  2. You're doing well with budgetting!
    Glad you had a nice day out for your birthday! I'd like to visit it!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I think you'd really like it, if you're ever in County Durham or North Yorkshire I recommend a trip there.

      Delete
  3. Belated Happy Birthday. What a nice way to spend it. I love the Bowes Museum. The quilting exhibition sounds great but I don't think we'll be in the area when it's on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it was a really good day, and another good use of the Art Pass as it gains us free admission.

      I know it's not the same, but there are some good pictures of the quilts at http://www.paulineburbidge-quilts.com/

      Delete
  4. I hope your parents are feeling better. It brought back memories to have you mention the lurgy, back in the day it was "the dreaded lurgy" from the old Spike Milligan Show. Enjoy your blog, thank you Joyce

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're on the mend now thank you. Thanks for nipping in and taking time to comment.

      Delete

Post a Comment