Skip to main content

The Soup Cure

At the start of the month I did lots of cooking, including roasting loads of veg and shoving it in the freezer, I think I mentioned it. I have to say it was one of my better ideas, it's been brilliant to be able to grab a handful to start off a meal, and there's still plenty left to make all manner of other stuff to keep us going until the start of January. 

I made some more of the Thai spiced bns and sweet potato soup which was just as popular this time round, so I decided to branch out. Somehow a celeriac had escaped the roasting process and was looking a bit sorry for itself in the pantry so I made some soup with it. The first bowl I had was disappointing to say the least. It wasn't horrible, it just lacked something -I followed a recipe and everything. There is a ton of this soup so something had to happen. I shoved some in the freezer and left the rest in the fridge. 

Today it was time for soup, I had primed Dan by telling him he would be eating disappointing soup for lunch, after a day or two in the fridge it looked better than before which was a good start. I had a look at what was on the door shelf in the fridge and saw a bottle of chilli and lime sauce. This stuff is great, it can be used as a dip, marinade, to make a sauce or whatever you like. I ued it for tofu last time and it worked really well. So I heated the soup, added a nice amount of seasoning, then swirled a bit of the sauce on top when it was ready to go. Soup cured! It was delicious, the lime and chilli were great with the celeriac and the flavours really came out. 

Plus in making this soup I used up a dubious celeriac, most of the remaining chilli sauce and as we had some yellow stickered muffins in the freezer Dan could satisfy his bread craving. Happy times indeed. 

Comments

  1. Well done!!!!! Glad to hear the soup was better this time round!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly gave it a bit more ooomph.

      Delete
  2. I love celeriac but it is a bugger to prepare. Your soup sounds lovely! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would eat it far more often were it not for the grazed knuckles from peeling!

      Delete
  3. Sometimes it's best to go with the flow and just chuck it all in.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nooo, that is where I've gone wrong with soup before. With a stew or pretty much anything else I do my own thing, but when it comes to soup it has never worked out. I avoided making soup for years as mine was always horrible!

      Delete
  4. Great save. I always love when something that isn't just right the first time gets made into something absolutely wonderful the next.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was on a mission to make sure it wasn't wasted!

      Delete
  5. I believe soup is the best thing to cure all known ills!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment