Skip to main content

Long Term Project

the beans are for scale
If you're having a happy Christmas full of wonderment you probably don't want to read this post of frustration. 

I don't know what it is about Christmas gift buying that makes people second guess. I think it must be something about buying the luxury thing or the thing you wouldn't normally buy for yourself, bigger is better, even when better is not appropriate. Yes I sound ungrateful, I'm not I'm just cross that people have wasted their money with things we won't use and will be sold for a fraction of the price at the charity shop. 

I think people sometimes, when gift buying, think about the gift but not about the person. So we received bath towels that reminded the buyer of the beach - blue, white and beige. Our bathroom is bubblegum pink and black. So in a sense they're thinking of us, but not the reality of our life.  

Anyway, the long term project. Dan's Mum bought us a sealed tin last year for us to save our cash and Dan suggested I'd like another one this year. I don't think I'll need a new one for the next decade (see picture above). It is huge, how on Earth am I going to fill that? I didn't even know they made them that size! Still, who doesn't enjoy a challenge, I laughed for about a minute when I unwrapped it. This was preferable to her alternative which was to buy a lockable cash tin, but then the amount inside wouldn't be a secret so to keep it locked there would have to be a slit in it so we asked at a local hardware place would they be able to do that and make it safe so I didn't cut myself etc. Do you see what I mean about overthinking?

 Phew.

On the plus side, someone asked about the card that made our friend laugh so much, it turns out I have another one, so here it is. Inside it says "stay a step ahead at Christmas" who knows what that means!


Speaking of stepladders, Dan is currently in the loft as we have water coming into our bedroom. 

Comments

  1. I had a lovely present as well, it was what I wanted but not quiet what I would have chosen, I will learn to love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. I know exactly why each gift was given which is a really nice thing. Everything will be useful or beautiful to me or someone else.

      Delete
  2. Oh, I am so sorry you've got water ingress :-{ Fingers crossed it is something which can be fixed relatively easily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, looking at where we used to live we are very fortunate. Hopefully it will cost us nothing but a bit of money (if it ever stops raining).

      Delete
  3. I am quite jealous of your ton x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! It's a good one isn't it. I'd better get saving.

      Delete
  4. You'll be able to make a major investment in your life if you manage to fill that tin - it's huge!! Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I won't be able to lift it should I ever fill it that's for sure.

      Delete
  5. I know what you mean about pressies having thought but not being quite right. I only try to use natural and organic bath products as sodium Laureth Sulfate in most products is really bad for my skin as it is so dry but inevitably I get given one of those luxury toiletry gift sets that most people love but I dont because of the products in them. As a teacher, I often get these from kids too. it is so nice but I wish they'd save their money! That said, none so far but I've only opened family pressies as I'm away!
    My sister in law read my blog and saw my cat wishlist and bought me the one item (blue cat shirt!) that I'd bought myself!!! I felt so guilty!!! Hopefully she can change it!x
    Hope the water goes away!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. We have some relief from the water today, sadly we can't say the same for quite a few people we know.

      Delete
  6. I like the idea if the big tin. The best present was L's - A box of snowballs. Artificial of course and when you squeeze then they hve the feel and sound of feal snowballs.
    Carolx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The snowballs sound like fun.

      I like the big tin, although I have no idea where it's going to live or how I'm going to fill it!

      Delete
  7. Hello fellow ceiling leaker! Hope your is fixed. Mines temporarily sorted!! I might do a money tin thing this year

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, poor you, it's not fun. I'm happy that the rain has finally stopped here and the sun has come out, sweet relief!

      Delete
  8. Feel the same as you and Kezzie about presents. We get a lot of tat, nice tat, but tat that we don't really have room for. Add in a sentimental boyfriend and you lose a lot of time/energy trying to find places for tat!

    Lizzie Dripping

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sympathise with you over having to deal with sentimentality. I used to keep every little thing because it reminded me of something. Dan was very patient but I know he was relieved when I had my lightbulb moment and started to get rid of it all.

      Delete

Post a Comment