Skip to main content

Happy Domestic



I know for some people whizzing up a vat of soup is the easiest thing in the world, my soup is always not all that amazing. So armed with my roast veg I was going to make a very simple sweet potato, squash and onion soup. Then I was inspired by something I read somewhere yesterday about a spiced soup. In the fridge was a small amount of red Thai paste, not enough for a proper curry but enough for something, it had been in there for months. Along with it was a friend, creamed coconut, so I added them to the pot too. 

It was really delicious. I tried a small cup for my lunch, the flavour of the roast veg came through, it was spicy with a lovely creamy texture. More than happy, especially as I used up a couple of things that could have hung around in the fridge forever. 

The couscous also used up the last bit of harissa paste too. I used the last bit bathroom cleaner today, it was really a bottle of shower gel I received as a gift, it was rubbish for my skin but made the sink shine. Then I found two samples, one of shampoo and one of conditioner. I don't use conditioner as my hair is exceptionally fine so I used it for shaving my legs instead. There was more shampoo in the sample than I'd anticipated so I used that too wash my body too. Three more things used up.

Last night I had a very interesting chat with my Mum about Christmas, there is still no negotiation about presents of course but she did describe certain family members as "a bit cheeky" for inviting themselves round for meals on both Christmas and Boxing Day (as well as for other meals throughout the year). She asked them what they would do if they had decided to go out, and was unimpressed with the reply "well you wouldn't do that would you?". Not nice to be taken for granted, especially when you turn up for these things empty handed. 

Comments

  1. Oh the Christmas thingy always ends up with problems doesn't it. This year we are all going to my son's. Not sure how this will go but its only one day isn't it? lol
    I must give this Thai paste a go, we both love a bit of spice.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, thanks for nipping in.

      I agree with you, it's one day, well three days as we have three sets of parents to see, but yes. It means a lot more to them than it does to me so I just sip my sherry and grit my teeth!

      Delete
  2. We have a couple in our family like that, we always ensure we are out when they turn up. We are also in a nice summer holiday spot, but don't like family having their holidays with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, we get lots of people who want to nip in during the summer, then want to just leave their car when they go off somewhere, just so they can save on parking charges.

      The other approach is that people have started to say if we want to go away they'll stay here and house sit for us. It was the same when we lived in York.

      Delete
  3. What a great idea, I made roasted veg soup the other week and it was so tasty, with your little extra editions it would make a nice change.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, really adds that little bit extra, especially good if you have the ingredients in already.

      Delete
  4. Soup looks lovely and velvety.

    I made a batch of braised red cabbage today which freezes beautifully and as I like to serve it as part of the Christmas dinner that's one vegetable sorted;-)



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very velvety. I am been told it would be very welcome should I make it again too.

      I love braised red cabbage, I've never made it myself, perhaps this is the time to try.

      Delete
  5. I like to add a little tikka masala curry paste to blended soups, especially butternut squash, it adds a little kick to otherwise bland fare.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually use tikka paste for lentil soup, as I'm out of Thai paste I think I'll try tikka for the next round of squash soup, thanks.

      Delete
  6. Interesting ideas for soups. When people start taking you for granted then I think it's time to introduce changes like maybe not being in or just booked a holiday/day trip.
    Carolx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to confess I often just say "no" with no further explanation, it really works!

      Delete

Post a Comment