Thursday, 3 December 2015

Freebie and Bargain of the Week

Obviously the best freebie of the week was the cheque from the bank!

Two nice bargains. The first one from our big shopping trip 



A nice punnet of mushrooms for 19p. I wanted a decent amount of mushrooms for roasting so I was made up with these. 

The second thing is from the charity shop. We decided one Christmas thing we did want was trifle, neither of us has had it for years. We have managed to get hold of some dairy free whipping cream and some jelly crystals, along with the usual fruit, custard and sprinkles. But we didn't have a dish. I've had my eye on one at the shop for a few weeks but couldn't make my mind up. The manager was taking it off the shelf and asked me if I would like it as it would be sent to the pound shop otherwise. I said "yes please" and we settled on a price of £1.55 which was all the change I had (it had been £3.49 beforehand).



Very pleased with these two small things. 

By the way, I heard from my brother last night, he's fine about the no gifts thing and they would still like to come over for New Year, as long as there's a pub with a jukebox they're happy apparently - maybe they are coming round to something more simple. His girlfriend is going to bake a cake for the occasion, I'll be able to make a decent spread from the things we have in the pantry and freezer so it should be good. 


14 comments:

  1. My nan had that same bowl! I'd forgotten all about it until now :) you certainly got a good bargain there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's ideal for us as we wanted a fusion between the trifle bows of our childhoods, so we have the decorative bit Dan remembers and the straight sides I remember :)

      Delete
  2. Lovely dishes, we might have something different other than Christmas Pud, not sure what though x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you believe I have never eaten Christmas pudding?

      Delete
  3. Just to say the scarf turned up today, thankyou so much and for the card, I will make very good use of it, Marlene xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I'm glad that the Christmas thing is going to be better than expected and yay for trifle dishes though I am not able to say yay for mushrooms because they are slugs in disguise!!!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny you should say that, I am the only person in my family who eats mushrooms, everyone else thinks they're evil. I have never liked them and only started doing so about 10 years ago, but I was "scared" of lots of food for a really long time so I eat things just to prove nothing bad will happen these days!

      Still don't like aubergines though.

      Delete
  5. So pleased your Christmas plans are coming together, fingers crossed for a stress free holiday!! Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, there will still be a couple of stressful days but I'm very happy to have my brother and his girlfriend on side. In fact they're now staying or a few days, even better.

      Delete
  6. Good the hear your brother is on side and will be staying for a few days. that's the best bit - the company. Wondering where you got the dairy free whipping cream?
    Carolx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How much we will see of them on January 1st is anyone's guess!

      The dairy free whipping cream came from a healthfood shop in Coventry, I did see a squirty version at Single Step in Lancaster this week The brand is called Soyatoo. I know coconut cream is good for whipping too, and easier to get hold of.

      Delete
    2. I might try the coconut cream. could be good on a trifle.
      Carolx

      Delete
    3. Let me know how you get on if you do try it.

      Delete