Wednesday, 2 December 2015

Big Shop, What A Shock

Thank you for all your comments yesterday, I've closed comments on that post now because we really have tried everything and we're at an uneasy truce with ourselves over the Christmas situation. It means more to our families than it does to us so I'm not prepared to argue about it with them any more. 

Simple Living, I posted the scarf yesterday so hopefully it should be with you soon. 

any excuse for a pantry picture

In the spirit of getting everything out of the way so we don't have to go to the shops we did a "big shop" last night. We don't generally do this so it was... different. We decided to go to Sainsbury's rather than our usual shop, mainly because there were a few things available there that aren't sold at the usual place. Wow. I was so glad we took a list, the store is huge compared to what we're used to, our local supermarket doesn't sell clothes, electrical items etc so it was a bit much. We even managed to scare up a pound coin for the trolley! Dan bought a couple of work shirts and a tie too, with 25% off which was great.

For the first time in I can't remember how long we used a big trolley, I could hardly reach into the bottom of it, all very exciting. I did feel a bit queasy part way round when I started to think about how much it was going to cost, but it was on the list so I bought it. When we finally got to the checkout it was £60.10 not including the shirts.  It was considerably cheaper than our usual place as we stocked up on tins of beans which were on either two for £1 or even cheaper at 30p-45p per tin.  In the true spirit of a supermarket advert I was pleasantly surprised, that's just over half the grocery budget gone, but should cover most of the food we're going to eat this month and into the new year. 

just to prove we have some veg!

I know some people would never buy bottled water but after a month of not being able to drink from the tap we will always keep a couple of bottles in case of emergency! The kitchen roll is something we could do without but it makes cleaning the rabbit pen far easier, and it means Dan is more likely to help out too - he is not a fan of washable cloths! Roasting lots of veg tomorrow to stick in the freezer for a quick meal starter when things get a bit more hectic. 

10 comments:

  1. Sainsbury... dangermarket! We always spend alot there. I can walk around Waitrose and not be too concerned about cost, but every time in Sainsbury I get a creeping fear as we usually stock up on bits and bobs we can't get I town. We need to go there for some Christmas bits like Turkish delight which I adore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I know what you mean, that's why I was so glad I remembered the list, I dread to think what I'd have ended up buying had I not had it with me. I am also a fan of Turkish delight.

      Delete
  2. I love having a nosy into other people larders and cupboards, it's like browsing their bookcases isn't it ... it just HAS to be done :-)

    I must say it's very organised, mine usually is but at the moment it's a case of open the door and catch whatever jumps out at you, put that back and then get out what you went for in the first place. You've shamed me into a tidy up now I've admitted that!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sue, thanks for nipping in.

      I love nothing more than when someone posts pictures of cupboards, shelves and bookcases. I do like to keep mine tidy, my kitchen cupboards were one of the things I organised first when I got rid of all my hoarded items so it's important to me that I have areas of calm even when I feel like I'm in chaos.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for posting the scarf xx
    I have pantry envy I am longing for a pantry, when we eventually buy a place in a few years time again, a pantry is on the list, I have always bought bottled water, I drink lots of water and can't stand the c**p what comes out of the tap, I see you are a Marmite girl as well x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pantry was one of the things I first fell in love with when we came to view the house, even though mine is quite small it's so useful.

      We do get through a lot of Marmite, I don't like it "raw", I wouldn't have it on toast or anything but I love it for adding extra ooomph to a stew or other saucy thing. Dan loves it on crumpets.

      Delete
  4. I love a nice pantry shot. Your pantry is looking very well stocked up. I'm going back to shopping at Sainsbury's next week after another fiasco at Waitrose. They have a really good selection to choose from.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I do like to know we can avoid the shops if we want/need to. You're not having a lot of luck with Waitrose at the minute, hope Sainsbury's is better for you.

      Delete
  5. We did our big shop yesterday too, bags and bags of food to haul up the stairs. We buy bottled water because our local water either tastes like a swamp or it has too much chlorine in it and I don't know which is worse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. Not too long ago where our water comes from changed. Our water used to be absolutely gorgeous, now it's a lot harder and the taste of chlorine is overpowering sometimes. I think maybe they're going over the top after the cryptosporidium scare earlier in the year.

      Delete