Monday, 16 November 2015

Sealed Pot Opening!




I know I said we'd agreed to open the pot at the start of December, but it was burning a hole in Dan's pocket just a bit too much, so as we were at home all day yesterday watching the wet, blustery day we went for it. 

I was allowed control of the tin opener, this is what we found


All in all there was £231.73, not too bad at all, especially as we didn't really concentrate on it this year, we'll make it more of a focus from now on. We'll also keep the sealed pot for 50p and larger so we can keep putting the smaller amounts into the bank throughout the year. 


In terms of bankable cash there was £221 which Dan took with him this morning. Our small change bags are well on their way to being filled so hopefully there will be something else to go into savings before the end of the year. 

I'm going to keep more of a running total this time, so I'll make a note of it here whenever something goes into the bank. 

15 comments:

  1. I have seen the tins in the pound shop, this is something I will be doing in the new year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was a Christmas gift last year, it's been great for removing the temptation to just borrow a bit of change. Now this one is open I'm using a regular money box, hopefully I can keep my fingers out of it.

      Delete
  2. That's great well done. I'm thinking of doing the same soon but with £2 coins.
    Carolx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great minds think alike, I was thinking of keeping a pot for £2 coins this time round. I don't seem to get them very often but it would be interesting to see how they build up over the year.

      Delete
  3. Wow, you both did so well. Well done for sticking with it and putting so much away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. A fair bit of it (about £50) was birthday money as I didn't want anything at the time and didn't want it to just drib and drab away.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  4. Congratulations!

    I save copper coins, not as fruitful but always a nice treat when I take them to the bank.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get a lot of pleasure from counting up the copper coins, they turn from almost nothing into something very real!

      Delete
  5. We are going to leave our jar for another year, we do not put notes in the jar, at this point it's just below half full.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I doubt there will be any notes next year, we'll be focusing on emptying all of our change out at the end of the week/shopping trip though. I think we may follow your lead and only open it if it is full.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks, it really does add up quickly and painlessly.

      Delete
  7. Great idea, i have a money box but can dip in.
    Definitely going to buy one of these!!
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They only cost somewhere between 79p-99p and I think they're worth the investment. Hope you have a nice amount saved in it this time next year!

      Delete