Thursday, 12 November 2015

Saving and Not Spending

The sealed pot is burning a hole in our mental pocket. It's not that we want to spend the money, we just want to know how much is in there! I think we've settled on December 1st to open it, although I'm not convinced.

It seems like a very long time since we saved any substantial amount. We did reach our basic savings goal of filling the emergency fund, so that's a very positive thing. Having multiple changes jars seems to be working well. The sealed pot is for larger amounts, the open tin is for 20p and smaller. we've both got into the swing of emptying our change into it at the end of the week. We have dipped into it occasionally, mainly for parking, but it's been very useful and great for painfree savings. 

"Proper" saving will start again at the end of this month. I know December is not traditionally a good month for saving but I think it will be a good one for us. Even more than last year we're stripping back celebrations. We spend quite a bit of time out and about meeting up with people we don't see the rest of the year (quite a few of our friends live overseas). But we don't need to spend tons on this like we have in the past. I've also spoken to people about not exchanging gifts this year, which has reduced the shopping list considerably. Dan's mum has suggested we have a £20 budget again this year as she enjoyed it so much last time round, so we're down to only a couple of more extravagant gifts now, phew. 

This month (I know it's only early) other than buying some hay online I have gone back to cash for everything. It's easier for me. I withdrew some cash at the start of the month and I don't want to have to use any more. If this works I'll have a nice buffer in my account which I'll use as an overdraft should I ever have an expensive month, or if there's some kind of deal that's too good to miss. As it is, we don't need to buy anything other than bunny greens, milk and mushrooms this week, less than a fiver isn't bad going. 


6 comments:

  1. Sounds like you're doing really well. I kept a sealed box again this year but I'm afraid I have hardly put anything in it at all. I just forget and it is so rare I have any cash in my purse I like to leave it there for any emergency that might arise. It's not really a system that works for me or rather I can't get it to work for me. I need to try something else. There might be about £15 in it if I'm lucky, (I started with £14 left over from last year!) so it might come in handy for some xmas foods nearer the time. Maybe the roast. I look forward to hearing what's in your's, you've got me all excited about it now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I make lots of small purchases, a couple of pounds or less and shop at a few places that don't accept card payments so paying by cash suits me, so the sealed pot works. I know using a card is better for lots of people so the sealed pot isn't appropriate at all.

      You can be sure I will let you know when it's open!

      Delete
  2. I use cash each week, and often I have some left over, much more in contorl than using the card.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been using cash for the late 11 months. It certainly makes you think before you buy when you se it dwindling before your eyes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really helps me in that way, when I can feel the pain of handing the cash over I'm more careful about what I buy and I can see how much/little I have left so I can budget accordingly.

      Delete