Skip to main content

But Where Do You Get Your Pasta?

It's strange what we get into our heads and what we think is a thing but it turns out not to necessarily or always be the case, for us yesterday it was about pasta. Dan told his parents he is vegan. 

It was... interesting. Dan's dad spoke to us about nutrition, which even his wife found funny as he hasn't cooked anything for as long as anyone can remember and doesn't have the greatest diet in the world, he takes his own tins of tuna with him when they go on holiday because, you know, food from other places. We went back and forth about the milk thing for their cup of tea and in the end Dan said they could have soy milk or do without (no-one has any allergies). So he just made tea and didn't mention it, he was greeted with "that's a champion cup of tea, you've done that before". Success! I think the Booja-Booja truffles may have helped (we bought them with a voucher we had from Holland and Barrett). 

Dan's mum was concerned about calcium, so we went through that and she seemed sceptical but accepting. Again she has a very restricted diet and doesn't really bother herself with nutrition so we decided between us that no lectures were in order. We did have to have the protein, what if your neighbours had hens and offered you the eggs, and what about cake discussions (she had a slight vested interest in this one) but it went fairly smoothly. She now wants proof that the cake mix + fizzy pop = cake thing works! 

The one thing that she couldn't get out of her head was that we wouldn't be able to eat pasta. I assured her many times that I am too stingy to buy fresh pasta anyway but that dried pasta is egg free so we can still eat as much pasta as we like (which isn't all that much). She was then fascinated to know the nutritional value of pearl barley, because she really likes it but had never thought about it before. Isn't is funny what we focus on given a free choice. 

Comments

  1. I love the sound of cake made with fizzy pop. Can you do us a recipe with "here's one I made earlier" picture?
    Carolx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will post a picture when it happens, I think I posted a picture of my failed attempt a little while ago. There is no recipe really, it's a case of take a box of cake mix, add 300ml fizzy drink and mix the two together.

      I'm not a baker!

      Delete
  2. Yes, it is really funny!!! I could be vegan without much trouble as I like the substitutes and we often eat vegan but I just haven't become one.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find it really interesting what leaps out at people when you're having a conversation, I'm always surprised.

      Delete
  3. There are plenty of healthy choices for vegans, your family shouldn't worry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. My parents are fine, they're used to it but Dan's parents are a bit more... traditional. His dad hasn't eaten garlic until this year, the view is that rice is meant to be for pudding and nothing else, and if his mum eats more than twenty different foods I'd be amazed.

      Delete
  4. I went vegan for 6 weeks as a health experient and all my mother could do is cut bits from the Daily Mail ( her Bible) about how being vegan ruined various people's lives....



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That must have been fun! My colleague from the shop is a little bit like that, I've decided to find it charming.

      Delete
  5. I admire your stance with your parents, and their questioning but quiet acceptance of your being vegan. I have been down the route of not enough protein, calcium etc etc over and over with my Mum, I am usually a vegetarian but have been eating fish (so currently pescartarian) this year just to please my Mum. I should be made of sterner stuff ... I'm 55 !!

    I am I think going back to eating completely vegetarian for next year, so I will just have to put up with the loud "whatever are you going to eat, will they have anything for you" utterance every time we step into a cafe or restaurant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My parents are fine, I thank my brother for doing all the leg work by giving up meat as a child, Dan's parents are far more fixed in their ideas.

      I know what you mean about your experience with your Mum though, it was scary to actually say we'd taken the leap because we knew what everyone would say. Now we're just trying to live really well so it doesn't look like it's a big deal or an abnormal thing to do.

      Delete

Post a Comment