Sunday, 4 October 2015

Tenner Week Roundup



This is how my spending went last week when I was doing Tenner Week with Penny Golightly.

Sunday - No spend
Monday - No spend
Tuesday - £2.89 bunny veg, milk and potatoes
Wednesday - No spend
Thursday - £1.79 cauliflower and chestnuts, £5 voucher spent on beer
Friday - no spend
Saturday - no spend (by me, Dan bought coffee)
Sunday - no spend

I did want to get through the week without using my £5 supermarket voucher, but Dan bought some beer with it, I don't mind, it was "free" beer after all. 

This week was a really good week, for my freebie I received a magazine. Someone donated the current (Nov. 2015) edition of Coast to the shop and my friend bought it for me, she has a cake when we go out for coffee and I buy hers even though I don't have cake so it was a gesture for that which was nice. We also bagged some freebies for someone else - although these aren't in the hand yet so they're only very probable freebies. Someone Dan works with is looking to get rid of some old furniture as their parents are downsizing and has offered us some G Plan furniture. It's a little too recent for us as it is early 70's but we have friends who would love it.

My other bargain, and this may be useful to someone else, is that vac-packed chestnuts are back at Home Bargains 99p per 200g pack with a best before date of some time in 2016. We eat a lot of chestnuts during the colder months so I'm going to stock up next week if they are still available.

I planted some onions, some spring bulbs and some seeds during the week and at the weekend we got stuck in and did some proper tidying in the garden, a vast improvement. 

For entertainment at the weekend we went to Blackpool on Saturday early evening. I took some pictures of ghost signs and we walked around the area of the prom we generally only drive past which was good, we especially wanted to see the fluted pylons by Jo Berry (pictured). Each of the discs features designs related to illuminations from the 1930's. We also some some performance art - Bicycle Ballet, which was great fun, had a dance (to West End Girls by Pet Shop Boys) as we walked through Brilliance and watched the new Lightpool light show which is a projection onto the front of the tower building. All for free, all for fun.  

8 comments:

  1. What a frugal week you've had. Well done. I don't think I could manage that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It's not that difficult really if you have a good pantry set up. It's interesting to see how many times "essentials" are just things we "really quite want to buy". And rather than holding me back it just allows me to think and do instead of buy.

      Delete
  2. Wow, you did really well! Very impressive. The free shows in Blackpool sound great too! I should try this.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even if you exceed £10 it can be a great exercise just to reset general spending routines.

      Delete
  3. What a good idea, having a £10 week, i often give up food shopping for a week, as its a good chance to use up things from the freezer and cupboards and get a fresh start, instead of keep piling thing in. Might give it a go

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a really useful exercise. Having a use it up week is a great idea too, I'm always happily surprised at how easy it is to cobble something together.

      Delete
  4. I have weeks when I buy nothing but milk and maybe a few veg to supplement what is in the garden or freezer. Thanks for the tip about chestnuts, I found them and liberated a few packs. Mushroom and chestnut stuffed cabbage tonight, yum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you were able to get hold of the chestnuts, the stuffed cabbage sounds great.

      Delete