Thursday, 15 October 2015

Perfect Match



aka bargain of the week. I don't think I've had any freebies this week, although I have been promised yet more tomatoes next week.

On Tuesday I was tidying the shop when I first arrived when I almost tripped over something, then I noticed what it was and just had to buy it. Luckily for me, all books were 99p this week. It is the perfect thing for Dan, he is a researcher, he loves maps and does lots of work around deprivation and all that kind of thing. So when this falls into your lap you don't let it get away.


To say he was made up with it is a slight understatement, it has been declared "best gift ever". 


I'm not quite sure where it is going to live though, it's a bit big, here it is on a double bed 


I am now a little concerned that Dan might want to use this map as the basis of a walking tour when we go to London next month. 

12 comments:

  1. Oh wow! These maps formed the basis of a TV series a couple of years ago. There were about four episodes and they looked at the history of London streets in different areas of the capital. They used the census returns, the Booths maps, war time bombing maps and talked to people who had lived in the area. Absolutely fascinating!! Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a great show, I might get Dan on the case to see if we can watch it somehow.

      Delete
  2. Those pages would be nice framed.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great item. I love social history. You might find yourself in the East End if you follow the map. There is a Booth House on the Whitechapel Road, which is a hostel and was most likely named after Charles Booth. Not far from Whitechapel Art Gallery and Brick Lane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On this occasion I am in charge of where we visit so our history tour may have to take a back seat!

      Delete
  4. Sorry, Booth House was of course named after William Booth, founder of the Salvation Army - no relation to Charles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds cool! My husband loves maps too! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We spent a good amount of Saturday examining maps at the library too.

      Delete
  6. I am quite jealous. I love things like this! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just a stroke of luck that it was there in a day I was volunteering, I'm so happy about it.

      Delete