Monday, 26 October 2015

Making Room



Just before Christmas last year I had a bit of a breakdown, I think I mentioned it at the time. We were sitting in the car near the Dukes theatre in Lancaster, on our way to see The Puppini Sisters, and I just couldn't go in. So I sat in the car in tears for ages then we went home. Christmas was pretty much over after that. We did put up the ridiculous fabric tree I made, but the rest of the decorations stayed in their boxes and we didn't get round to buying a proper tree. 

Dan raised the subject of decorating for this year and we decided to decorate for winter first to snug the house up then add the Christmas section at the appropriate time. 

This makes sense to me, and will hopefully remove some of the melancholy I feel around that time - I'm not religious although I do get a lot from going to church, I'm not a fan of family get togethers, although I do enjoy being with them. I just find the whole thing very a very pressured time, too many expectations, I suppose that's what lots of people would call tradition. So today we have dug out the decorations and I have started to decorate, blankets, candles, pine cones, a worrying large amount of hedgehogs, hearts and berries, they have all come out and are cheering up the house. 

There are some things we have to just get through, they can't be ignored, so it's all about finding a little space to make it more enjoyable, and what's more enjoyable than being at home?

10 comments:

  1. Enjoy yourself and do what's right for you, and like you say there is nothing nicer than home xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. We're going to try very hard to cut down our time on the road this year too. Most years we seem to spend more time on the M6 than anywhere else.

      Delete
  2. Making our home comfortable for ourselves is the way we should always decorate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is true. People laugh at me when I say the house is like my big dolls house, but I do like prettying it up.

      Delete
  3. I love candles at this time of year, dark corners become pretty places, I have a few nice fake candles I can put where reals ones would be dangerous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been thinking about buying some fake candles. I would like to have a lantern on the hearth, but am too worried about the white rabbit pushing it off. An fake candle would be ideal, Dan is far from keen so I'll have to keep working on that.

      Delete
  4. I know the feelings of stressful holidays. Mine come from a combination of wishing for that perfect dream season, which is impossible yet desire able, and my heart feelings that all the gifts and decorations and cooking are never going to be equal to the amount of love I wish I could express to my loved ones, some of them no longer here. I hope you can enjoy your home decorated for the season and experience peace there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a lovely sentiment Cathie, I can appreciate what you mean.

      I hope you can find some peace and find time to relax too.

      Delete
  5. I love seasonal decorating, likely why we still have our Halloween decorations up and still get out the bunny carved pumpkin each evening xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're not the only one, we saw lots of pumpkins still on display at the weekend. If it looks good then why not!

      Delete