Wednesday, 14 October 2015

Dreams

There's a discussion about work experience on the radio at the minute and it got me thinking. 

I didn't receive any careers advice at school. Everyone else did, so I don't know why I missed out (if missed out is really the term). I did do work experience though, I worked for the parks department of a local authority. Sadly for all of us they thought I was going to be a lad, so I didn't get to use a lot of the heavy machinery. I did have a good time though.

I didn't want to work in the parks department, although I did enjoy the ride-one lawnmowers. I secretly wanted to be a florist (I may have mentioned this before). But being a florist was a daft job and anything other than university would be "wasting my brains" according to my teachers and pretty much everyone else. So I forgot about being a florist until last year. 

Despite all this I rarely have cut flowers in the house, it seems so wasteful, maybe that's why I was attracted to being a florist in the first place.




6 comments:

  1. I wanted to be a florist at one point, but my confidence was shocking so I never bothered pursuing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I very rarely have cut flowers in the house, usually on the grounds of cost. They do look lovely on the few occasions in the year that I might buy some. Even when I grow things I don't always think of cutting them and bringing them inside. They just seem to look better where they are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so too. I know that people say it's better for the plant sometimes as it will continue to produce flowers if you cut them, but I rarely get round to it. Not to mention bunny mouths if I brought vegetation indoors.

      Delete
  3. I don't like to cut flowers from our garden, but I often buy cut flowers. It's a shame, our school was the same, I was told I would fail english exams, so I left school without taking any, because without english there was no point!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could talk for a good long while about the legacy of things I was told at school!

      Delete