Friday, 11 September 2015

New Things



Dan arrived home safe and well last evening, I was very glad to have him back and I think he was glad too, even though he had a great time with his friend. He was the bearer of gifts too, a large piece of chocolate cake, my favourite lentil chips (tomato and basil flavour) and a tin of jackfruit.

So after visiting a local launderette (another first) to get the winter duvet and some towels washed we headed to our brand spanking new supermarket. It only opened on Wednesday, I have to confess I was a little bit put out that we hadn't received any money off vouchers to tempt us there as we are local folk, but you can't win them all. 

Dan took a sneaky picture of the tomato aisle
It very new and very bright and seemed to sell a lot of wine! We just about managed to find everything we needed/wanted and maybe one or two extras to keep us going on our journey to Coventry tomorrow. But we did get some BBQ sauce to use with the jackfruit to make pulled jackfruit - like pulled pork only different. It's been a bit of a thing for a while, I've not been overly excited about trying it but Dan is very keen, so the menu plan is to be jiggled and a big sandwich will squeeze in. Normally I'd make the sauce myself but as a one off it was cheaper to buy a jar as I didn't have most of the ingredients and I doubt we'd use them up if I bought them.

So that's all very exciting. I confess that other than the lentil chips I am most excited about the launderette, the smell of it was amazing and the man we spoke to was very nice indeed, he said he's take care of everything and all we have to do is turn up before six tonight with some money - how much money I didn't ask but I'll try to not look too shocked when he reveals the outcome. 

12 comments:

  1. I love the smell of the launderette too. I could do with getting our double quilts washed and dried in our local one. Recently it has acquired a barista and coffee bar and gone all upmarket with seats outside on the street. I'm hoping the prices haven't gone up as a result!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it will be a very long time before anything like that happens here!

      Delete
  2. I received the needle work, thank you very much, I will have fun trying it. Supermarket looks very neat and tidy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad it arrived safely, hope you enjoy trying it out.

      Delete
  3. I've never heard of jack fruit before - I'll have to look it up. Very smart shop. Enjoy your trip to Coventry.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The new shop is on the old premium bonds site, if you know where that is is LSA,

      Coventry was excellent, thank you.

      Delete
  4. I LOVE lentil chips, I know just.the ones you mean!!! We bought loads of them in the health food shop in Totnes and the tomato and basil are the best!!!
    I used to eat jackfruit in chicken and veg stew in Indonesia. Couldn't stand it as a fruit but made to resemble chicken, it is delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm quite looking forward to trying the jackfruit now, we've jiggled the menu plan and are going to try it on Saturday so I'm sure I'll offer an update next week.

      I have to ration myself with the lentil chips, they're just so nice! Luckily I can't buy them here, I have to nip up the coast a little for them so they're more of a rare treat than they could be.

      Delete
  5. You can't go wrong with somewhere that sells a lot of wine!

    Lizzie Dripping

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. I don't know too much about it, just that it originates in south-east Asia and India and it is part of the fig family. So it's all new ground for me. When cooked the young fruit take on a stringy texture which is why it's idea for the "pulled pork" style texture. Although I've never eaten pork other than a sausage so I wouldn't really know either way!

      Delete