Wednesday, 23 September 2015

It's Not You, It's Me

I think.

As I mentioned the other day I've been in a bit of a negative mood recently, add to this I'm still at the shop on a Tuesday it doesn't make a great mix. Thankfully I was in a very good mood yesterday which helped make the day a little better. This is a whinge, if you don't like whinging, you won't like this!

We were busy and I was mainly in the shop on my own, unless I shouted for someone to help. Some of the customers were pretty demanding which takes a lot of energy when you're on your own - I was on the receiving end of some negativity, usually prefaced with "I know it's not your fault, you're only doing your job but...". Then I accepted a donation that I shouldn't have done - I was serving someone at the time and someone asked me if she could bring it, I said yes and she brought it in, it was in awful condition. So when the manager came back she had a bit of a go at me about it. We had a full and frank exchange of views about it. Then as the item was being but out near the bins someone asked if they could take it. Problem solved. The atmosphere thawed a little. 

Then I had an experience with the new bloke. Everyone seems to love the new bloke, other than me. I just don't know why everyone thinks he's great, he does no more than anyone else (and this isn't a matter of me thinking I'm undervalued, I don't feel that way at all. For my part I don't try nearly as hard as I used to). I've tried to have conversations with him and there's just nothing at all. I can usually find something to talk about but with this bloke, just no. 

He also broke number one rule of charity shops - he made himself a drink without asking anyone else if they wanted one, tut tut. 

Later there was a beautiful and very teeny tiny puppy outside so we were talking about it, I mentioned that it was about a quarter of the size of my big bunny and he said "that little dog could still kill and eat your rabbit though", then he said "you're not one of those people who keep their rabbit inside are you? It's disgusting". I put down the knitting needle I was holding and said "yes, I have two, they live inside, remind me to never invite you for tea" and that was that. Sadly I let myself down by not obeying the rule of not saying anything when I didn't have anything nice to say!

Still, it will save me from saying anything at all to him in the future so probably a worthwhile conversation in the end. I know it's me, not everyone else but wow, yesterday had the potential to be the perfect storm!

10 comments:

  1. Sometimes you have to be full on, subtlety and a smile do not get the message over. We all (most, must not generalise) like a whinge every now and then. I call it my pressure release.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a pressure release, you're quite right.

      This person is certainly not one to waste subtlety on.

      Delete
  2. What a total and utter TWIT! How dare he?!?!?!?!?!??!?!!??!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, he could have said absolutely anything else couldn't he.

      Delete
  3. You did well not to belt the silly bugger :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I think I was very restrained!

      Delete
  4. How horrible. There is a woman who we used to see at WWII reenactment events who actually said to me regarding my bunnies, "You should just kill them and eat them, that's what they're for." I was beyond appalled at this terrible comment and let her know it. I cannot stand the woman and she thankfully will ignore me now if our paths cross. The last time I encountered her she was telling someone else to wring the necks of the female peasant who was visiting their garden. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How rude of her, she sounds like a right charmer.

      Delete
  5. I wouldn't last 5 minutes....new man sounds like he won't last - making a drink for himself and no one else?
    And not keeping his opinions to himself so early on - I predict he will suffer from boundary issues which will be his undoing... :-)

    ReplyDelete