Monday, 28 September 2015

Freebies And Bargains of the Week



Starting with the freebies. We visited my parents yesterday as there was a bit of a birthday celebration going on. It was actually very nice to have everyone together, well, nearly everyone, my brother's girlfriend is ill so she couldn't come. 

My mum gave me all of the above. The courgettes and tomatoes are from their garden. I mainly received the tomatoes due to my niece picking them and declaring "apple" each time. The two books are from a friend of Father who thought I might like them. The peas are from Father himself. I was also given a dress by my mum's friend but it was impossible to photograph, it's a khaki lined halterneck affair, a very kind gesture. 

Next, bargains. We went to Lancaster at the weekend for the usual coffee, we also tried a bakery we had never been to before, but Dan had used some credit earned from doing surveys to buy the full version of the Happy Cow app and it pointed us in the direction of Filberts Bakery. They don't advertise things as vegan as it puts people off but there was plenty to eat. We ended up with an apple and hazelnut sourdough loaf, some cinnamon rolls (my absolute favourite) and a spinach, pea and herb pasty each. Delicious!

We've been inspired by the younger vegans we come into contact with online to not be scared to ask what vegan things are available, they're so bold and just demand change that it's hard to not take your hat off to them in many ways. Dan has really gone with this and the results are amazing. Most places have been really accommodating, if people didn't already know, which many did, they found out for us. I can't remember if I said last time that Dan asked about vegan beers at a pub and the barman didn't know but asked Dan for suggestions, was very apologetic and said he's do some reading up on the topic as it had never occurred to him before. Anyway, back to the bargains.

I picked up two necklaces from an animal aid charity shop (still in Lancaster)



This was two quid, it is metal, I love it.


This one was three quid, I mainly bought this because it had a bit of a Twin Peaks feel to it. Finally, we're back with my parents for another book. My mum is a massive fan of The Book People and always asks me if there's anything I want. This time round I went for Keep It Vegan by Aine Carlin, her blog is fab.


The book was a fiver and the sad looking basil was 20p from Booths the other morning. I think I'm going to try the chocolate brownie recipe for the bake off next week. 

A bit of a splurgy set of bargains but never to worry. 

6 comments:

  1. Freebies and Bargains, great stuff, there is a flash sale on at The Book People at the moment, I have just treated myself to some .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had some great books from them, I get the very strong suspicion I might find a Moomins calendar in my Christmas stocking too after spying it in the last booklet.

      Delete
  2. I absolutely love the first necklace, what a bargain and your other presents are just me too. Hope your brownies turn out well.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mum, I bake so rarely anything could happen!

      Delete
  3. I'm addicted to the book people, they leave little enticing books for us to look at and order at work, it's sooo hard to resist! That vegan cook book looks good :)

    I'm also addicted to buying cheap wilty plants, I bought 2 trays of yellow violas for 20p each today on my lunch break! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bargain violas, well spotted, I need to think about a bit of winter colour. Our beetroot came from the plant hospital at B&Q I'm amazed at how well it has grown.

      Delete