Monday, 17 August 2015

Organisation


Warning - this post may contain concepts some people could find offensive (at least in August).

On Saturday we set about moving the compost pile to make space for the compost bins. There was a lot more than we thought so when a break was needed we went to the town for some garden sacks so we could take some of the stuff to the tip. As it turns out, due to needing a permit to take "inert waste" to the tip we didn't go. We still bought the sacks though. I also treated myself to the small menu board pictured above, we've been on about getting one for months, and this was a nice small one and only cost 99p including for sticks of chalk. It should reduce the small pieces of paper that always seem to be scattered around the house with the same things written on them.

To reduce the shopping list equivalent I've taken the obvious step of putting them on my phone. This also helps me to remember to take my phone out with me, especially useful as I use my phone as a pedometer these days.

Our lives are filled with an endless stream of opportunities and so we find our weeks filling up quickly, no matter how hard we try to not plan too much. In order to control as much of this as possible we've been potting, planning and making lists, especially about Christmas (sorry). I can't remember if I spoke about it at the time, but I had a bit of a meltdown last December which lead to that whole period being a bit of a disaster. My problem is (other than the day being totally dominated by the fact we have to visit Dan's mum in the evening) that we do nice things, but it doesn't have any specialness to it. So that's what we're working on. Dan wants a cyclamen, trifle and a festive quilt. 

To stop the feelings of overwhelm I frequently have, a phenomenon Dan refers to as taking on thus I am writing a massive list. A list of house readiness, so I'm not trying to do everything all at once. This is general readiness, not a festive thing. But I am most likely when I have two minutes before someone turns up to be found making a draught excluder (that really happened) or deciding to paint the bathroom ceiling, because these things become really important at times when I should really be thinking about something else. Getting it written down gets it out of my head and means I can go to sleep, which is one of my very favourite things of all. 

10 comments:

  1. I am a list maker and forever culling pages in a notebook which have my endless lists on them. I once kept a rolling one and just crossed out and kept adding to it, I got into the 1000's before I abandoned it! I have lists on my phone, on the computer, on the fridge, in random notebooks. I believe I still have the ones from when I was planning our wedding!

    I go into overload at the run up to Christmas, planning out which weeks to buy treats in, as some weeks are more expensive than others (if toilet tissue and detergent is needed) so no treats that week. I usually start that in November and take advantage of deals. Then there's Christmas gift lists and menu lists, I could write a list of lists.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm fine with the food buying, gifts and cards side of the equation, my problem is more a time management thing in a kind of sort of way. It's hard to explain, but I don't find that time of year relaxing or even fun really - we spend so much time driving and running around, it just feels like I get lost in the whole thing and so I think we need to plan some time doing the things that we think are special/fun/important, not the kind of things that are "supposed" to be special that I have no attachment to at all.

      Delete
  2. I'm so sad I take a notepad to bed sometimes. I find alsorts of things pop into my head when I should be getting to sleep, so I write them down and it helps me sleep!!! I'm not running my Christmas list just yet, but there's nothing wrong in being prepared. Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My list for Christmas is kind of the opposite of a Christmas list, it's a list of things to do now so that when we're in December I don't have to do very much at all. It's nothing to do with that event at all really, it's just so that time (that I find quite isolating and depressing at the best of times) doesn't turn into a time of frustration, more a time to relax.

      Delete
  3. I wish I was more of a list maker! I keep everything in my head which is fine sometimes but not always! Don't worry, I like buying Christmas presents early too! I bought my husband some organic fairtrade jeans he loved in Totnes back in May because I knew he loved them and I might not see that particular brand again and I also bought my sister-in-law a knitted jumper back in April for Christmas and (shockingly) a skirt for her birthday next April, last month!
    As a musician, I also get booked ahead for concerts ridiculously early. The conductor of my orchestra collared me about 2 weeks ago and said, "You are there for the 8th March concert, as we doing Dvorak 8 which you need to be there for,"
    I went to my friend's house earlier- she has about 12 rabbits- I thought of you and Melanie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also tend to keep things swirling round in my head, but then sometimes I remember I've had an amazing idea but just can't remember what it is!

      12 buns, sounds lovely :)

      Delete
  4. I'm totally with you on list-making. Once something is on paper it no longer has to be in my head (thinking Harry Potter and the Pensieve ......) which leaves my little brain free to wander around at will :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a pad and pen next to the bed as I always remember things as I am starting to drop off. Or I sometimes wake in a panic. Write down what ever is in my head and then I can sleep. it seems like it is a common thing

    ReplyDelete